First segmented bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RGABEL

RGABEL

I had turned some small bowls before and thought I would try doing a segmented turning. Built the segmenting jig, 3D printed the wedges, and then dug around the shop for some scraps to use as a first try (Walnut base, maple, cherry, hickory body, poplar rim). Think it turned out well for my first try. Was very addicting (just like turning pens) and I now have a significant problem. I don't have nearly enough time to do all of the "hobby" items I enjoy. Need to get the winning lottery ticket so I can retire and at least recover the time that I spend working each day :D

Attachments

• 20240214_193611[1].jpg
    20240214_193611[1].jpg
    421 KB · Views: 48
  • 20240217_190230[1].jpg
    20240217_190230[1].jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 20240217_190312.jpg
    20240217_190312.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 20240218_111413.jpg
    20240218_111413.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 49
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dieseldoc

I had turned some small bowls before and thought I would try doing a segmented turning. Built the segmenting jig, 3D printed the wedges, and then dug around the shop for some scraps to use as a first try (Walnut base, maple, cherry, hickory body, poplar rim). Think it turned out well for my first try. Was very addicting (just like turning pens) and I now have a significant problem. I don't have nearly enough time to do all of the "hobby" items I enjoy. Need to get the winning lottery ticket so I can retire and at least recover the time that I spend working each day :D
Well done. for first segmented vessel. So now you are hooked in segmenting vessels so look out when you get bit for a open segmented vessel. Enjoy the ride great fun. Check out the web site Segmentedwooders.org

RGABEL

I really like your choice of woods and placement of sections. Open seg next?
I have been debating on trying an open segmented bowl, I have drawn plans for the gluing jigs. I have also drawn up the indexing wheels and could have those made where I work for free as we have a fiber laser for cutting our stainless steel. Too many ideas, not enough time.

howsitwork

th
the only way that retirement dodge works is if SWMBO doesn't know you re retired !

Lew

Take it from me, retirement doesn't give you any more time because your days become filled with doing all the things you have always wanted to do. I read the IAP posts each morning, I play tournament bridge almost every day, I do woodworking, I perform at a restaurant in a town nearby, I take music lessons to improve my skills, and I do all the maintenance on the house and the ranchette where we live. The only thing I don't have time for is sleeping šŸ„±

By the way, great looking bowl!

Top Bottom