First PR's and some others...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ChrisinOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisinOR

Earlier today I had mentioned that I was going to try and dye CA. It kind of worked but not as expected. The CA did take the dye okay. I used Trastint liquid dye. A little bit of the CA hardened around the mouth of the bottle, but most of it mixed. Here's the pen that I tried it on. (undesirable effect)

2007312235221_DSCN4062.jpg

Now last night I tried mixing my first batch of PR. It too didn't work out as planned. Initially I didn't add enough hardener. So the first batch took forever to cure. Again I used Transtint liquid dye for the color, then I added some metallic streamers. Once turned I was kind of disappointed. The streamers are all going the wrong way. They all ended up with the skinny side out. Any ideas why? The color is still kind of pretty. There are a couple spots where you can see the streamers but not very well..

200731223565_DSCN4068.jpg

This morning I mixed a new batch of PR. I got the hardener right this time. Cured up just fine. The idea on these was blue and yellow swirls that had some streamers and some fine pearl. Again didn't exactly turn out as planned. So what do you get when you mix blue and yellow? GREEN!!! (crap..) I'm amusing I needed to wait longer before I mixed the two colors? Any input would be appreciated.

2007312235856_DSCN4064.jpg

(These look like pens for "The Incredible Hulk")

Next up are two pens that turned out a little better. The top is a round top euro with Cochinchin burl, and the bottom is an El Grande with Snakewood. This was the first time I used Snakewood, terrible stuff to work with. Super un-stable! Both halves cracked in half when I drilled. I was able to fix them both though.

20073130145_DSCN4069.jpg

Any comments, suggestions, and/or criticisms are greatly appreciated.
(sorry about the poor quality pics. I didn't feel like setting up the light box)

Chris Nilluka

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CaptG

Hey, I really like the pens with the green. Really unique and good looking. May not have been what you were going for, but still winners.

johnnycnc

I like the second pen,dark pr with streamers.[:)]
Is it my imagination or is the round top euro
wearing its tubes swapped?Looks like the long tube
made its way on to the top half.[;)]
Snakewood looks great!!

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Chris - All I can say is don't give up. I have a huge box of casting experiments gone wrong, yet I learn something from each one, file it somewhere in the brain and hope I don't repeat the mistakes. Its relatively easy to just buy some wood or plastic and turn it into a pen, but the excitement only builds when you finally figure out how to cast something unique and can share with this great group. Cast on, try more dyes - there's bound to be one that will work with CA or a way to inhibit the cure long enough to soak in - you have only found the dyes and methods that didn't work.

ChrisinOR

As far as the tubes being switched... nope. This is a Rockler kit... the top tube needs to be longer because you turn a small tennon that the center band rides on. I did accidentally switch them once. I really had to shove the mechanism way in the tube for the tip to come out. What a pain.

I generally use CA for my finish. It's fast, easy, and the results are spectacular!

Chris Nilluka

Hiram33

interesting pens, remember what Edison said about his failures to make a light bulb, he did not fail 5000 time he know 5000 ways that do not work. Experiments are fun and can lead to some great thing![:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom