First PR Casting and Second PR Casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from garrettdave

garrettdave

Well....built my own mold using the great instructions in the library and tried my first pour on Friday. I wanted to try and make sure to keep the colors separate so I kept them in the cup....it went a little like this;

Is it getting harder? No, not yet.....

Is it getting harder? No, don't pour yet....

Is it getting harder? No, be patient, plenty of time....

Is it get...wow stick seems to be slo...:eek:....better pour.....

Followed be feverish sawing with the stick to get the "mass" into each mold.

Pour yellow all around it and hope....

A few pockets since I don't have a pressure pot. Luckily, my poor camera skills keep them hidden!

I tried a pre-made vinyl decal just to see how thick I would have to put on the CA. Normally I used thin, but a couple of medium coats left ripples since I was afraid to sand the decal.

Blue / Yellow are the second pour and poured while still liquid so hopefully I'll get swirls even though I think I mixed too much.

Last is a cocobolo I finished up before starting the PR process.

Dave

Attachments

• PR Casting 006.jpg
    PR Casting 006.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 208
  • PR Casting 008.jpg
    PR Casting 008.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 170
  • PR Casting 004.jpg
    PR Casting 004.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 167
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jaeger

Good job taking the plunge into acrylics.
Let us know how the yellow blue turn out. Any air pockets?

maxman400

Great Looking Colors, You did better than I did on my first pour, That's when I found out that PR can melt plastic cups.

KDM

Is it get...wow stick seems to be slo.......better pour.....

Heh heh. I know how this feels!

Blue / Yellow are the second pour and poured while still liquid so hopefully I'll get swirls even though I think I mixed too much.

You didn't.

They look like they will be amazing. They always look less swirled at the outskirts of the mould. In fact, I think your will be surprised at the red/yellow one, too. I suggest you rough them round and sand them quickly with 400, 800, 1600, 3200, then a quick pass over teh buffing wheel. then you will absolutely know for sure what they will come up like.

Good job taking the plunge into acrylics.

Polyester, I think.

You did better than I did on my first pour, That's when I found out that PR can melt plastic cups.

Look for the little recycling triangle. If it says 5 or PP inside, then you're OKay with polyester and MEKP. (I dunno if you guys use the same system for labellig recyclables in the US.)

Top Bottom