First piece of Tru-Stone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dave_M

Thanks to the Woodchuck Pro, this was easy to turn... mostly. Amazing how the heat can build up if you go at it aggressively.

Since this is my first tru-stone, I'm looking for some comments. I sanded it starting with 400 and going up the ladder to 1500 before jumping to micro mesh then polishing with white diamond on the buffer. In person under normal lighting it looks great. I've handed it to a few laypersons and they all say it's beautiful.

In full bright light with my eye closely inspecting every millimeter, it's good but is it great... I don't know. I see what appears to be very tiny, almost goose bump like, looking pattern. Carefully examining the reflections I can see an almost fiberglass like texture to the surface giving the reflections a very slight haze in appearance. I've tried sanding it over again twice but I always end up with the same results.

It certainly doesn't look bad or anywhere close to bad, but could it be better? Am I spending too much time examining this blank with a magnifying glass? Since I've never worked with tru-stone, I'm not sure what should be considered normal. Sometimes I stair at a blank searching for every little imperfection that eventually all I can see are the imperfections. Imperfections that no one else can see.

Not the best pic, but...
IMG_2925.jpg

Thanks,
Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mark

Dave, I do the same thing. I believe I'm way to critical of my pens. But that will someday make for a perfect finish I suppose. I've only done the lighter colors in Tru-Stone and not had any issues with the finish.. I know with the dark ones you see all the micro scratches. In asking around here on the forum, it would appear my next step is to go to buffing after my MM to 12K. I have ordered the buffing system, but do not have it yet.

Good Luck.

skywizzard

Dave, It looks good to me. I have turned a bit of Tru-Stone and I too can be too critical. Of course you like to get the best finish possible, but like most things in life you eventually reach a point of diminishing return :).

turbowagon

Possibly a result of chattering with the tool? At certain RPMs, the tool may vibrate at a resonant frequency causing that kind of pattern. On the next one, you can try sanding with a coarser grit, perhaps as low as 240. That should take care of any fine chatter marks.

Dave_M

Possibly a result of chattering with the tool? At certain RPMs, the tool may vibrate at a resonant frequency causing that kind of pattern. On the next one, you can try sanding with a coarser grit, perhaps as low as 240. That should take care of any fine chatter marks.

Sounds like good advise. Thanks for the tip.

renowb

I guess as pen turners, we look for any flaws, trying to be a perfectionist. I will be disappointed in something on a pen and my wife says she loves it. I guess wives have to say that. But my point being, if you look real hard at something there's always going to be a flaw. Nothing is perfect, except me, just kidding! I think it looks great!

Dave_M

Ding Ding Ding! Thanks Joe. I tried starting with 220 and working my way through the grits and that worked great. I appreciate the input everyone.

Dave

Top Bottom