First Peppermill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from louisbry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

louisbry

Simple is good, I do like the curve - and the knots do add a bit of country flair.
Which type of grinder hardware did you use, and overall size?

Also, what finish?

Many thanks. I used the grinder hardware from Craft Supply USA. I think it is the crush grind type of mechanism. Exotic Blanks have an excellent grinder mechanism also. Think I will try them next time I order. The mill is 9 inches tall. I had to cut down a 10 inch kit. The finish is two coats of Mylands sanding sealer and four coats of MinWax clear gloss wipe on poly.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Wipe on poly sounds durable!!

How was it to apply? Drying issues? Days between coats?

I am always looking for a better answer for peppermills---please disclose only as much as you like, but I am interested!!

louisbry

I am always looking for a better answer for peppermills---please disclose only as much as you like, but I am interested!!

Ed it is a pretty durable finish and is easy to apply. Just double fold a soft napkin and apply with a light touch. It drys in 20 to 30 minutes and is ready for another coat. Apply as many coats as necessary to get the shine you want and wax or buff out. I would let the last coat dry overnight before waxing or buffing.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks Louis---I WILL try that, next time I make one.

Just bought a couple carbide bits, so I will be making a mill or two, just to experiment.

Appreciate your guidance!!
Ed

alphageek

Former Moderator
Ed it is a pretty durable finish and is easy to apply. Just double fold a soft napkin and apply with a light touch. It drys in 20 to 30 minutes and is ready for another coat. Apply as many coats as necessary to get the shine you want and wax or buff out. I would let the last coat dry overnight before waxing or buffing.

Oh, man - I have to say thank you for this. I'm pretty good at CA/BLO on pens, but whenever I get to bigger items, I suck. I have peppermills on my to-do list, but finishing them has me more paranoid than anything..

How quickly/slowly do you have it turning when applying? Ho much on the napkin (wet, damp, almost dry, small puddle??)

That is a beautiful piece!

louisbry

Oh, man - I have to say thank you for this. I'm pretty good at CA/BLO on pens, but whenever I get to bigger items, I suck. I have peppermills on my to-do list, but finishing them has me more paranoid than anything..

How quickly/slowly do you have it turning when applying? Ho much on the napkin (wet, damp, almost dry, small puddle??)

That is a beautiful piece!

My pleasure Dean. I get the napkin wet. The WOP is thin and a good bit soaks into the napkin. I don't apply it on the lathe, but I guess you could. I rub lightly with the grain and try to cover top to bottom in one stroke. Rotate the piece and continue until it looks smooth. Let it dry a half hour and repeat. Lightly sand if necessary. This procedure works well with bowls also. Sometimes it takes 7 or 8 coats to get the look I want. The number of coats also depends on how much is absorbed. Spalted maple absorbs a lot, cherry not so much. There is a lot of variables, but WOP is forgiving. I hope this helps.

Here is a link to a Spalted Hackberry bowl I finished with wipe on poly:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=77461

Last edited:

alphageek

Former Moderator
My pleasure Dean. I get the napkin wet. The WOP is thin and a good bit soaks into the napkin. I don't apply it on the lathe, but I guess you could. I rub lightly with the grain and try to cover top to bottom in one stroke. Rotate the piece and continue until it looks smooth. Let it dry a half hour and repeat. Lightly sand if necessary. This procedure works well with bowls also. Sometimes it takes 7 or 8 coats to get the look I want. The number of coats also depends on how much is absorbed. Spalted maple absorbs a lot, cherry not so much. There is a lot of variables, but WOP is forgiving. I hope this helps.

OH!!! Thank you... When you said light touch, I was picturing when it was turning. Off the lathe is so much better then! (doesn't tie up the lathe)..

Thanks!

broitblat

Thanks, Louis.

I've wondered about the durability of WOP -- I haven't worn any off, but then, I haven't handled the bowls or peppermills I've finished with it very much.

I've found I like a minimum of 3-4 coats and sometimes more and the drying time between coats seems to vary a lot with temperature and humidity.

-Barry

Simple is good, I do like the curve - and the knots do add a bit of country flair.
Which type of grinder hardware did you use, and overall size?

Also, what finish?

Many thanks. I used the grinder hardware from Craft Supply USA. I think it is the crush grind type of mechanism. Exotic Blanks have an excellent grinder mechanism also. Think I will try them next time I order. The mill is 9 inches tall. I had to cut down a 10 inch kit. The finish is two coats of Mylands sanding sealer and four coats of MinWax clear gloss wipe on poly.

Louis,
This isn't the crush/grind style... it's a standard with the knurl adjustment on the top... you did very well with this one... I don't do the standards as I never seem to get the dimensions right and have trouble with the adjustment knob working right... just my lack of dimension I guess...

Love both the design and the wood... as clapiana said, the knots add to the beauty of the mill.... know LOYL will enjoy and get lots of use from the mill.

Louis/Ed,
I finish all of my pepper mills with Minwax wipe on poly... usually 6-8 coats... I like the semi-gloss myself, but usually will put a couple of coats of gloss under it for depth.... like Louis, I let them sit for a couple of days after the last coat to finish curing... according to the can or somewhere I read that it takes about a week for the wipe on poly to fully cure.

I only do the Crush/Grind mechanisms with the ceramic grind because I can adjust the shaft easily (I never get the dimensions right on the standards and those little bitty screws you have to put in drive me to distraction.)

Top Bottom