First pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Texatdurango

wiset1

Just over a year ago I made my first pens as shown below. I researched this for months before spending the money on everything and one long weekend resulted in a hobby that has stuck like CA glue.

5005065864_5fe6751795_z.jpg

The first 5

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bluwolf

I didn't have a digital camera when I made my first ones. My first one was a walnut slimline that looked just like Mike Redburn's. I still have it. Then came a couple others. Then I made my first aluminum slimline that looked like Ken Farrell's. I still have that one too.

After that was a few aluminum ones that kind of fall into the semi kitless category of ballpoints that I like but as I've said before, back then no one liked aluminum. I had considered reposting them to see if tastes have changed or if they were just crappy to begin with:biggrin:

my father showed me everything needed and I believe my first was a very bad looking slimline.... my 2nd however, was a gift for my now ex... she still has the pen years later and just recently sent me pics when I asked about it.

CIMG0728.jpg

D.Oliver

After reading some comments in other threads where folks were displaying their first pens I thought it might be fun if everyone would post a photo of your first pen(s) just to let everyone know that we all started about the same and there is no need to be intimidated!

Just over a year ago I made my first pens as shown below. I researched this for months before spending the money on everything and one long weekend resulted in a hobby that has stuck like CA glue.

5005065864_5fe6751795_z.jpg

The first 5

I think Tim just shot that theory all to peices! I'm going to have to turn for at least 10 more years just to get to where Tim started.

bitshird

I didn't have a digital camera when I made my first ones. My first one was a walnut slimline that looked just like Mike Redburn's. I still have it. Then came a couple others. Then I made my first aluminum slimline that looked like Ken Farrell's. I still have that one too.

After that was a few aluminum ones that kind of fall into the semi kitless category of ballpoints that I like but as I've said before, back then no one liked aluminum. I had considered reposting them to see if tastes have changed or if they were just crappy to begin with:biggrin:

Johnnycnc has blanks already drilled and reamed so you don't need tubes, I didn't realize it at the time, actually until you just mentioned it, but I guess my first pen was semi kitless.
See what happened, I had all my students make pens out of aluminum, and I had all those silly brass tubes left, so I got some wood, and after school I'd drill and tube them, go in early and make a few pens, none of the students liked the Clausing since the threading split nuts were missing, so it was my first wood lathe, 15 inch chuck, 60 inch long bed, and about 3500 pounds of cast iron

wiset1

After reading some comments in other threads where folks were displaying their first pens I thought it might be fun if everyone would post a photo of your first pen(s) just to let everyone know that we all started about the same and there is no need to be intimidated!

The first 5

I think Tim just shot that theory all to peices! I'm going to have to turn for at least 10 more years just to get to where Tim started.

Funny...Thanks for the ego boost! If you had a close inspection of these you would see issues across the board. I learned a lot that weekend and even did a CA finish on all of them, but the truth is...there was a LOT of video watching and the Barry Gross Acrylic video is what made it all fall in place for me.

Whaler

I started turning somewhere around 1995 and these are some of my first attempts. Boy have I learned a lot over the years from this and other forums and lots of mistakes.

Attachments

• OldPens.jpg
    OldPens.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 82

MarkD

Almost a year ago now I ordered a few slimline kits and some predrilled rosewood blanks. I watch the PSI DVD on pen turning and headed to the shop in an attempt to make some pens for Christmas presents. These are some of the first I made along with the original photograph.

MartinPens

Here is my first pen. I went to visit my brother on Thanksgiving several years ago and I was hooked!!
Martin
P.S. this is the first time using my 0phone to add an attachment. If its terrible, I will try to replace it.
ForumRunner_20111103_123522.png

Top Bottom