First pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gomeral

gomeral

Hello, all -

These are 10 of the first dozen pens I've turned (I gave 2 away before I remembered to photograph them). Yes, they are all slimlines - I figured start easy, then challenge myself with curvy things. :)

From left:

1. Can't recall the wood (bloodwood?), I turned this pen 3 years ago at a Woodcraft class and my wife's been carrying it in her purse since then. I think it's held up fairly well. :)
  2. African blackwood satin pencil PSI kit.
  3. African blackwood satin pen PSI kit.
  4. Box elder burl (teal), 24k Woodcraft 'design' pen kit. (I can't recall the kit, but it's different than other WC kits.)
  5. English walnut, 24k Woodcraft pen kit.
  6. African blackwood, 24k Woodcraft pen kit.
  7. Zebrawood, 24k Woodcraft pen kit.
  8. Zebrawood, 24k Woodcraft pen kit.
  9. Cocobolo, 24k Woodcraft pen kit.
  10. Cocobolo, 24k Woodcraft pen kit.
The other two were zebrawood and cocobolo, 24k Woodcraft pen kits. Everything except #10 has been Myland's friction polish - it's what I learned in my Woodcraft class, so it's what I had, but I'm trying to branch out. #10 is a CA finish, which turned out okay in my opinion, but was a bit of a PITA. Gotta get better at that.

Anyway, I am not sure yet how to post higher detail photos, and I have had trouble TAKING the higher res photos (they are all very blurry at higher res), but comments and criticism from this smaller image is welcomed. I have recently received a commission for two pen/pencil sets, so I need to get on my "A" game ASAP!

Thanks for looking,

daniel

Attachments

• pens.jpg
    pens.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 143
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Nice looking set of pens! Just a little encouragement here: Most people start with the slimlines because they are cheaper and no big expense if there are major mess-ups. However, slims are harder to do than many of the bigger ones. Balanced straight cuts are more difficult for beginners overall (and many experienced) and the small diameter requires more precision overall - IMO.

SO, you did that well and you are OFF to the Races! :biggrin:

One correction on a perception that is often wrong: Cheaper and in this case slimlines do not mean "easier".

I started with slimlines and many do, - But I dread making a slimline now after making other two and one blank pens. I do make them but don't like it because to me, they are far more persnickety to get just right.

Top Bottom