First pen using stabilized wood.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chartle

I'm going to make a pen and pencil set for my nephew for HS graduation.

Since I want a matched set, my options are a tad limited. The pencil is a slimline and plan on using Stabilized Dyed Box Elder Burl.

Any gotchas like blowouts if I turn it thin enough for a slimline?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

I'm going to make a pen and pencil set for my nephew for HS graduation.

Since I want a matched set, my options are a tad limited. The pencil is a slimline and plan on using Stabilized Dyed Box Elder Burl.

Any gotchas like blowouts if I turn it thin enough for a slimline?

I've not had any issues with stabilized wood. I might suggest that for a young man, a Comfort pen/pencil might be nice. The center band is .420 so it shows off more wood and is perhaps better for man-sized hands. You can make them with or without the rubber grip. If you DO have an "issue", the rubber grip can be a life saver.

Regards,
Michael

chartle

I've not had any issues with stabilized wood. I might suggest that for a young man, a Comfort pen/pencil might be nice. The center band is .420 so it shows off more wood and is perhaps better for man-sized hands. You can make them with or without the rubber grip. If you DO have an "issue", the rubber grip can be a life saver.

Regards,
Michael

Well I picked the pencil to match this capped roller ball kit. The pencil is a compromise.

art_sig_rol_pen_kit_10k.jpg

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/2/5035/Artisan-Signature-Rollerball-Pen-Kit

Top Bottom