First Pen Picture with a Photo Light Tent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Carrick

Carrick

So, This is a Wall Street II Click I completed earlier this week. It is a Blue and Gold PR Blank I made. I appreciate your time to look it over and comment (or critique). ALso, if you notice anything with the photography that you could recommend, please pass that along also. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• WSII_BL_GLD.jpg
    WSII_BL_GLD.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 287
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Real nice pen, Patrick. As for the photography, I'm thinking you're nearly there. I like the positioning of the pen. If it were me, I'd rotate the pic 90 degrees and make the pen larger. Also, you might consider trying flashless (camera on a tripod). There's usually in-camera adjustments for nearly any type of light you might have (fluorescent, sunlight, tungsten, etc).

G1Pens

I agree on turning the pen in the shot. The way you have it turned does not really show off the pen and in this particular shot makes the finial end look "off" to me. Turning it would also allow more pen in the picture. As it is now there is more wood and open space than there is pen.

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Pat: I hope you are like me, and want honest critique. This is a new year and I've decided to be more "constructively critical", for those who ask. I too, just took my first photos today with a commercial soft box. I've been using a home made contraption that worked but was not the best. Your lighting levels, to me seem. o.k. Background????? I think your pen is really having to work at being noticed with the size of the prop. When I finish here, I am going to post my first pen photographed in my new Promaster soft box. Take a look, and PLEASE tell me how you feel about it. Reference to your Pen, The Sierra series is designed to be turned as a nearly straight tube, but I don't like that treatment. I like a little center swell. However; I don't really care for them being "fat". It may be the effect of the photographic setting, but it appears to me that the finial end of your blank was grossly overturned, which would also add to the "fat" appearance. It may not be overturned, at all. Pictures, many times, are deceiving. That's why we have Photoshop!!! :redface: :biggrin::biggrin: I probably should not have said that:rolleyes:. Do yourself a favor. Set yourself a goal to NOT need Photoshop. Then use it only when you screw up!!!!!:wink::wink: You WILL screw up. I have a background in Professional Photography and one of my current sources of income is the training of Law Enforcement Officers in Forensic Photography and I STILL screw up!!! Relax, enjoy, learn, and progress!

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I like the blue / gold colour combination. The middle is a little fat for my taste and the clicker end appears over turned. My eye was drawn to reading the writing on the wood rather than the pen.
The lighting / photo is as good as anything I can do so I can't complain about that

Carrick

Joe et Al,

Most humbly appreciate all your feedback. I am going to take on all your suggestions and see what I can come up with. As far as honest critique, the more I receive, the more I improve.

I have GIMP as my photo software. It's pretty cool, but I am still on the cusp of basic understanding. I didn't actually mess with the lighting or anything for the photo itelf. I just added a vignette border and the text.

As far as the pen (specifically). I took a look at the top end of the click-end of the barrell and it is flush with the outer edge of the clip ring. I am going to disassemble and slim it down some, but it may take me until the weekend with the work is right now.

This is awesome stuff. I have a couple of Tru-Stone Navigators, that I will also update the photos for and get out soon. Thank you again.

Top Bottom