First Pen (Majestic)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from 08K.80

08K.80

Hello everyone. My name is Kelly and this is my first post and my first pen I have made. I inherited my uncles old craftman lathe when he passed several years ago. Over the weekend, I got it out and started looking on the web for instructions and an easy project to start with. I found pens and decided to give it a try.
I found this website recently and have seen some very nice pens. Mine doesn't hold a candle to the stuff on here. I think I can do better on the next one, I hope. I hope to gain a little knowledge from the folks here and one day, I hope to be able to contribute and help someone else.

Here is my first Majestic pen.

Majest2_zps9c42ba37.jpg

Majest_zps5d81a352.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

Regardless, this is an awesome pen! The mixed material offers up a slick look and has a warm balanced flow to it that otherwise would have looked off with just the use of different acrylics. Nicely done!

08K.80

It was 2-1/2 weeks ago that I dug out the lathe and looked for instructions for how to use it. The stuff I read said for beginners, cutting a 2x4 in half was good practice. So, I had my husband cut a few 2x4's and tried those to get used to it. I then decided to try an actual project and found pens. It said they were easy and fun. So I ordered a few of the kits that were pretty, along with all the other stuff they said I would need.
It took me over a week to put the pieces together and three and a half days of stress cutting it on the lathe.

It's far from what I have seen on here but, I appreciate those that like it. It wasn't as easy as it is advertised.

Joe Burns

Great job on a first pen. Much much better than my first dozen. The Jr. Majestic is definitely not a beginner pen. Most usually takes on the slim lines or sierra's as a first pen.

Joe

walshjp17

For a first attempt at a pen, let alone an advanced kit like the majestic Jr., this is more than impressive. Not only is this not a beginner's pen and not wood, it is a mixed metal and acrylic segmentation that many of us have barely attempted after turning pens for years.

My hat's off to ya Kelly, lass. Ya done good and 'caed mille failte' to the IAP.

LL Woodworks

Stunning pen Kelly, What adhesive did you use to glue the aluminum and PR parts together?

Thanks and again great looking pen.

BSea

That looks almost just like my 1st pen. Only mine was a walnut slim line. And I put the transmission in backwards. And cracked one of the barrels. But other than that, they're almost twins.:biggrin:

Absolutely beautiful 1st pen. But what are these things you read? I think you called them . . . . instructions?!?

plano_harry

Very nice! Maybe your first pen, but i am guessing it is not your first time in the shop! There is a lot of skill that goes into something that nice. Welcome to IAP.

Harry

eliasbboy

Holy cow! I've been making pens for years and I've never attempted anything like that!

Beautiful! I can't even figure out how you did the segmenting. It's really something special.

PenMan1

Very nicely done. AND, I think it is terrific that you chose NOT to fall into the "make a slimline first" trap. Starting with a larger, segmented project gives you a chance to develop your chops on something OTHER than trying not to splinter the tiny slims.

Well executed and a very thoughtful design. I particularly like the way you used the small segmented ring at the nib end of the body. It gives a nice "continuation and flow" of making the body and cap homogenous, rather that "chopped up" with an ornate centerband. Your design brings the eyes back to the beauty of your work and away from the band.

Additionally, I REALLY like the way that you changed the segments with different textures, rather than with overly embellished segments. IMHO, this pen is elegantly simple. I LIKE IT!

Congratulations. You are well on your way. I look forward to seeing future works!

Respectfully submitted.

08K.80

Thank you everyone for your very kind words.

To answer some of the questions.

I used Gorilla epoxy to glue the pieces together.

The only tools I have used in the past were a dremel, wood burner, drill and glue gun. Those type of tools but, nothing like the saws and other power tools in the garage. Now I can add lathe and drill press to my list.

I have done plenty of craft type items over the years.

I didn't care for the look of the slim pens. I liked how this pen had the pretty designs and I like the pens with caps. I think they look more elegant or upscale instead of the fancy bic look of the slim pens.

I also wanted to challenge myself so, that's the reason for the different pieces and colors. I think it was a bit much and I will try something a little more simple for my next pen.

This was almost fun but, I was so stressed about messing it up. I think the next one should be less stressful now that I have one done and know what to expect. I will post as I make more. Thank you again.

BradG

Penturning isnt just about turning a pen, its about doing something a little different, and in my opinion you nailed it. Thats without taking into consideration that this was your first go. I expect we are going to see great things from you in the future :)

SDB777

First of all....welcome aboard!!!!!

Segmenting is very even(doesn't look to 'wobble')! Finish is outstanding! In fact, I think it would be safe to say that a few 'old-timers' might be calling you from now on to get some pointers!

Scott (well done) B

08K.80

Thank you. I don't believe I'm ready for a contest quite yet. I am working on another design but, it will be less involved. I think I will get a couple more completed before embarrassing myself in a contest.

After showing this pen around, I've been approached by a few people on what it would cost for a pen like this one. I have no idea how to answer them. How does a person go about pricing a pen? I didn't think about selling them, I just wanted to try something new.

Dale Allen

Figure out what the materials cost and how much time you have invested............
Then..............
Throw all of that aside!:biggrin:

Look at the item and decide what it's value would be if it was the first time you saw it and had no idea of what was involved in creating it.
If you can figure out a good rule of thumb for pricing based on that, then please pass along that insight. Because I have no idea!:rolleyes:

Jjcold

Looks great!

If that's really your first pen, well, I'm feeling a little jealous! It looks great.
I'm new to pen turning and haven't gotten past the slimlines yet, but have made about 25 of those. I'm learning a lot, very fast. It's an EXTREMELY addicting hobby. Next paycheck buys a lot more blanks, more acrylics, and kits beyond the slimline. Plus, a slow speed grinder. I've learned the importance of sharp tools!!!!!:rolleyes:

Top Bottom