First Pen Ever - Indian Rosewood & Gun Metal Comfort-Funline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jimustanguitar

Hi, all. I turned my first pen the other day. Indian Rosewood with a gunmetal funline comfort kit from PSI.

I don't have anything fancy for finishing yet, so this is just sanded to 600 grit and waxed.

GaF7jY8.jpg

Since my drill press doesn't have the stroke that I need, I bought some pre-drilled blanks in an assortment. I feel like I got lucky, because the brass tubes were almost exactly the same length as the halves of the blank, and I was just barely able to square them.

SJYzmKm.jpg

The first pen (completely by accident) matches my wife's desk perfectly, so it's already found a home!

u8rtIke.jpg

I learned a lot on the first one, but I'm still pretty pleased with it. The next one will have several things go smoother since I've got a much better idea of the steps and processes involved now. I've got about 15 cheap blanks and kits that I can ruin practicing, so I'll have to post the batch of them when I'm through.

Anyway, I've got a first pen. It has begun :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
And now I know that I need to learn about posting images that are the right size :)
Any tricks to make imgur pictures a more reasonable size? Can I edit the BCCode to size them automatically?

I can also see some sanding marks that the light and magnification really brought out.

RegisG

Good start. That sure is one way to see any sanding marks, just take a LARGE photo.

That is a lot better than my first a few months ago. Yours fits the hardware really well.

Welcome. Can't help you on the photos

Regis

mecompco

Welcome! Not bad at all for a first try. To get rid of those radial scratches, you need to sand laterally (with the lathe off) between grits. Never, ever, move to the next grit if radial scratches remain ('cause you'll never get rid of them).

Looks like you could have gotten the fit at the nib a bit better, but that is very difficult to get perfect on a Slim/Comfort. Oh, and it looks like the fit at the finial is pretty far off, or did you leave it that way for artistic purposes?

If you don't want to jump right into the CA finish "learning experience", something like Myland's Friction polish or AussieOil gives a nice, quick and easy finish.

Regards,
Michael

magpens

I don't know what process you used to upload your pics.

What I do, is downsize my pics to approx. 600x800 pixels using free downloadable software (I use PhotoScape, but there are other packages) and then go through the upload process that you can start by clicking on "Photos" at the very top of this page. I can walk you through that if you want.

Top Bottom