First Mech. Pencil as a gift

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jfernsler

jfernsler

Hey everyone, this is my second turning, the first being a slimline pen and now this slimline pencil. Nothing too exciting, red oak blank and a CA finish. The bands in the top barrel are my dad's initials in morse code. DDF. That's it, just wanted to show it here and say hello!

-jf

tumblr_l5j8rjXXqF1qzca6z.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jfernsler

Thanks for the nice comments. Glad you like the morse code, I was looking for a way to personalize it for him - and I'm making a second for my uncle, so initials seemed like the way to go. My dad was in radio operations in korea, so it's a little nod to him in more ways than one.

-jf

Crashmph

The Morse Code is a really cool idea. I may have to use that one... I was once a radio operator for the Navy for a while, so I can really appreciate the Morse Code details.

Nice job on the pencil as well.

Lenny

A very nice job and the morse code bands makes it very creative as well! :)

One thing to be aware of though, it has been my experience (and if you search the forum, that of many others) that the slimline pencil mechanisms can be problematic. :frown:

I think if you get a good one (I have my own personal one that has been in use for 5 years) they will last .... problem is just as many develop problems. Of the handful I made at least half ended up getting replaced. :eek:

I now use a Flat Top twist pencil as well as a Sierra type. Each one took a little 'fine tuning" to get to work properly .... but I think they will end up being better options. :)
Just my $.02

jfernsler

Ah, thanks - I admit I was a little concerned w/ the mechanism. I'd love to find a great .7mm mechanism as an art pencil or any recommend you can come up with for that. Is there a site the generally offers higher quality kits I can rely on?

And thanks for the kind words. I'm glad the idea didn't fall flat.

-jf

Lenny

Ah, thanks - I admit I was a little concerned w/ the mechanism. I'd love to find a great .7mm mechanism as an art pencil or any recommend you can come up with for that. Is there a site the generally offers higher quality kits I can rely on?

And thanks for the kind words. I'm glad the idea didn't fall flat.

-jf

Well, I hope others chime in here as that is something I would like more info on myself. I can tell you I just recently used one of these
http://www.bereahardwoods.com/pen-kit/supplies/pk-flat-top-twist-pencil.html
and I had some difficulty getting it to work properly at first. Had to do some filling to allow the twist mechanism to work freely. Once I figured that out it seemed to work nicely. I only had it a few days and it sold, so ...
I'll make some more soon. :)
I have also made one of these Sierra style pencils (bottom right corner)

http://thevillageworkshop.net/PENCILKITS.aspx

It seems to works very well too!

Hope that helps some.... and WELCOME to IAP! :biggrin:

keithlong

Very nice pencil.I have made some of the slimline pencils and have not had any problems with any of them. I like turning red oak myself

jfernsler

finished the second one for my uncle - initials REC. Also kicked out some pretty lo-fi boxes to present them in, nothing special - just milled some slots in some scrap:

tumblr_l5ooz5YjBh1qzca6z.jpg

Top Bottom