First Latch Hook Handle - Christmas Gift

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jewellmd

jewellmd

Other gift for my wife for Christmas. She asked for a latch hook kit. When I went shopping, the latch hook tools are extra. (Really, they can't throw in a $2.00 tool for a $25 latch hook kit?) I bought two tools thinking I'd modify one. If things went south, I'd have a store bought one already.

I had looked all over sites that sell turning kits, and found nothing. This one would truly be a figure it out type of kit. The cheap wooden handle from the store bought kit came apart relatively easy with a knife which was in turn used as a template. Selecting an appropriate blank, I got started.

Since I had already did the coffee scoop (just posted this one), the concept was similar. The metal part simply screws into the blank after making a small pilot hole. My wife loved the latch hook, finished the kit and said the hand turned one felt much better than the store bought one. It was a winner.

Does this count as a kitless project? ;) C&C welcome.

Attachments

• 20141220 - Acrylic - Latch Hook Tool.jpg
    20141220 - Acrylic - Latch Hook Tool.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 404

monophoto

I've read that some crocheters say that the handle end of the commercially available tools are too small and hard to handle if, like a lot of older people, you have arthritis. They report that custom turned crochet hooks are easier to use because the handles can the thicker.

I would think that a similar principle applies to rug hooks.

Top Bottom