First IBO

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jyreene

jyreene

Got this blank from Russianwolf along with some others. Glad I did. Blank got hot and cracked a little while drilling but not through to the tube. I used some thin CA on the crack and it seemed to work. Once turned down I noticed little voids in the grain. I assume this is normal. I tried to fill them with CA and sand. Seemed to close them. Then I used sanding sealer, some walnut oil, then a few costs of Doctors. I think the gunmetal is a bit dark of a kit for this but it still looks pretty good.

image-1595282284.jpg

image-731521967.jpg

C&C welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithkarl2007

CA just doesn't suit Bog Oak because of the open grain. Don't get me wrong, that is a great looking pen. It's hard to see in the photo but can you still see the grain in the blank after you filled it?

jyreene

CA just doesn't suit Bog Oak because of the open grain. Don't get me wrong, that is a great looking pen. It's hard to see in the photo but can you still see the grain in the blank after you filled it?

Actually you totally can. I didn't close all of it. Plus I really suck with CA so it wasn't a great coat anyways! I'll try and get a better one photo soon.

jyreene

Thinking back, it did darken the wood considerably. What's another way to "seal" the wood? Just plain sanding sealer? I wanted to make sure it would rip apart or splinter.

Top Bottom