First hollow form

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mick

mick

I've decided to try out the new Sorby hollowing tool I bought and this is what I came up with. It's Asian Figured Satinwood I found for 1/2 price on my last Wood Craft visit and the lid is some kind of rosewood I had laying around. Only problem I've got is the fit of the lid...I made it and it fit fine. Nice close fit but last night I was looking at it and either the opening in the vessel or the lid has "grown and wouldn't come out. Luckily I hadn't glued the finial in yet so I just ran a screw into the top and pulled it off. I'll re-turnthe top for a better fit but wonder if the humidity or whatever caused it to swell changes again will it be a bad fit?

Attachments

• BowlWith20cents.jpg
    BowlWith20cents.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 170
  • BowlWithLidtoSide.jpg
    BowlWithLidtoSide.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 151
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Really nice, you guys keep showing these nice hollow forms and lidded bowls, I guess as soon as I can get back into the shop I'm going to have to try one.

I suspect your bowl may have been just slightly green and dried overnight enough to warp.

mick

Really nice, you guys keep showing these nice hollow forms and lidded bowls, I guess as soon as I can get back into the shop I'm going to have to try one.

I suspect your bowl may have been just slightly green and dried overnight enough to warp.

Chuck, that's what I was thinking. The shavings felt slightly moist as I was hollowing it out. I'm fixing to go down and re-turn the lid just a hair and see what I can do about the fit. It was fun to make and I'll definitely be doing more. FIL gave me a bunch of Chittamwood today and I may try some green turning. Thanks for looking and thanks for the comments!

Bill I really liked the Sorby hollower. I bought the smaller one and will probably get the larger one later.

Last edited:

mrcook4570

Looks nice. Humidity/temperature changes will also cause the wood to move. This means that some days a lid will fit tight, and other days it will be loose. Just depends on its mood :wink:

mick

Stan I rechucked it and when I spun it, it had actually moved enough that I had to turn almost a 1/16 off opposite sides of the opening in the vessel. I took the opportunity fo rechuck the top and attach the finial and clean it up a bit. I'm happier with the final shape of the finial. I may still turn a top out of Blackwood after I rummage around in my wood bin and find a big enough piece.

TowMater

If if moved that much already I would agree to set it aside for a while before finish turning. Otherwise it will move again and again as you keep finish turning it and before you know it you'll have an invisible bowl.

Top Bottom