First Gent-- Amboyna w/Rhodium Fountain

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from redfishsc

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

For my Niece's wedding this Saturday. First Gent I've ever made, or actually seen in person for that matter. Lol, I made a "half gent" first out of spare tubes I ordered with leopardwood (which, one day, will grow up to be a real gent) just to get the flow of the bushings.

The finish is conversion varnish. Not buffed in the least. Sprayed and, after an overnight off-gassing, some wax.

I think it will make just the right gift. Now all I have to do is find a box that will hold it. I don't like CSUSA's big engraved boxes, I prefer just plain ol' wood, I'd rather the pen do the dazzlin.

amboyna_plat_gentfount1.JPG

amboyna_plat_gentfount2.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

Yes it is Thumbs. I have a collection of smaller teeth from C. augustidine... from a creek in my back yard (40 miles inland). My nephew and I were out tooth diggin' and I hear him from behind me go "NO WAY!" and I look back to see him holding up that beauty. And it's a small one compared to what they find in the Cooper River nearby. I've seen them nearly 7" long.

BigRob777

M,
Very nice work. I used to wear a shark's tooth (not the biggie though), on a chain. I got a couple of those amboyna burl blanks in a trade and hope to do something spectacular some day.
Rob

redfishsc

Thanks for the comments all. I was only a tad disappointed that this burl wasn't as red as a lot of amboyna I've seen. I eyeballed my stash of aniline dyes briefly after I finish-sanded the wood, but I resisted the sin.

BTW, lol, I tried drilling one of my C. Augustidine teeth to make a necklace out of. I totally, completely, and absolutely obliterated the tip of a HSS bit, even using thread-cutting oil. I've never drilled anything that hard. I only made it about 1/32 into the tooth and gave up. Now I just wrap them with stainless steel wire (lol, the exact same wire leader we use here to fish for sharks... poetic).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom