First Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JCochrun

JCochrun

This is my first fountain pen. Made it out of deer antler. I was really happy with it. It was sold for $35. Is that too low of a price?

Jim

Attachments

• Fountain Antler.jpg
    Fountain Antler.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 203
  • Fountain Antler 2.jpg
    Fountain Antler 2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 152
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DotDoc

great looking pen...fit and finish are great. Should have sold for $75.00 or better when you consider time, material, etc. Great looking pen

bobjackson

Passed Away Mar 5, 2020
In Memoriam
Great job on the fountain pen. Price was ok for the first one, but was way low for the time, effort, and materials. Next time triple the price.

drgoretex

Beautiful work on challenging material.

I would agree with the others on a higher price. The kit is not a high end kit, so personally, I would probably be looking for 50 ish but I tend to go low for a quick sale. I don't think 75 is unreasonable either.

cwolfs69

Great looking pen. love the antler look on the simple but elegant style. But you really did sell it too cheap. i just sold 3 today basically same style. 1 wood and 2 acrylic bodies. all three went for $60.00 and they went so fast I know they were under priced.

JCochrun

Thanks for the compliments. This one was for a good friend. The antler material is really cheap for me (can't beat free). The only expenses are the material and time. I'm still trying to figure out what to charge for time. I'm also looking to get a good customer base started here in Northern California. My goal is to, one day, be able to quit my real job and have a wood shop. Will see if that ever happens or not. Working on pens, coin holders, shadow boxes, and anything else that is requested. Got a long list of things to make.

cwolfs69

Thanks for the compliments. This one was for a good friend. The antler material is really cheap for me (can't beat free). The only expenses are the material and time. I'm still trying to figure out what to charge for time. I'm also looking to get a good customer base started here in Northern California. My goal is to, one day, be able to quit my real job and have a wood shop. Will see if that ever happens or not. Working on pens, coin holders, shadow boxes, and anything else that is requested. Got a long list of things to make.

if the pen is "for sale", meaning as in for business. don't count the antler as costing nothing. you need to use the idea that you have to replace the material. count on having to purchase it from suppliers. And if for a friend you can really reduce the price but if it is truly "for sale" price it accordingly. and as has been said on other threads, don't discount deeply just to sell something. the right customer for the right pen will buy it at the right price.

if i said to you, since its free, send all you have to me and i will pay for postage you would think i was nuts. dont give it away to customers either.

Top Bottom