First Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

montmill

first fountain pen - junior gent - sherry burl - gluboost .JPG

Thanks to everyone here and Ed's videos I finally got this Junior Gent done. The cherry burl was first sanded with 220 using thin gluboost to form a slurry and fill the inclusions. After sanding down with 400 grit and wiping clean it sat overnight, I then added three coats of medium and lightly cut back with stainless steel. After cleaning I added four coats of thin with activator between each. I took it off the lathe without touching it and let it cure overnight. The next day I wet sanded through the zona paper grits, dried it and went through the Novis polish system. Finally I buffed with Ren. wax to resist finger prints. My wife's belated Valentines Day gift.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fine Engineer

Outstanding work, David! Interesting finishing schedule you have. Do you notice a significant difference with working with this finish by letting it sit overnight?

NJturner

when really rushed, I will sand GluBoost after an hour of sitting, but I seem to get the best results when I allow it to sit at least 12 hours (overnight). The finish seems to get harder and cure more if it sits. I try and use as little accelerator as possible on the finish, so that may be why I see what I do, but I can't say for sure.
Kevin

Joebobber

Very nice pen indeed! The problem i have with fountain pens is trying to explain how it works and how to use it. 😆 Up until a few years ago I had never even seen 1 in real life. I figured they were all just like quill pens. North Dakota needs more people... 😆 🤣

Todd in PA

Nice pen!
I recently FUBAR'd a fountain pen on assembly (center band sleeve curled and the blank cracked). I'd never gift it in this condition, so I just started using it myself. I'm really enjoying writing with it. 🙂

Top Bottom