First Fountain Pen....thanks for the gift Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Buzzzz4

Buzzzz4

For my first fountain pen, I went big. Didn't realized the Majestic from PSI required a drill bit that was this big! And even better, the blank didn't blow! I received a gift from Steve and wanted to do it right. I'm really happy with the first shot. It's a Majestic with a BLO/CA finish. Let me know what ya think. Sorry the pic is a little on the shaky side.

I've updated the pics and am much happier with it.

Attachments

• Fountain Pen 004.jpg
    Fountain Pen 004.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 133
  • Fountain Pen 003.jpg
    Fountain Pen 003.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 111
  • Fountain Pen 001.jpg
    Fountain Pen 001.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buzzzz4

Thank you! It's next Saturday. I was hoping to get this done before then and actually succeeded. Have no idea on a price for it... 150? too low, too high, just right?

Last edited:

akbar24601

That's a good question right there!!! I can only imagine that you will get answers all over the board on that one. Consider the cost of your kit and the blank and your time. Even though the blank was a gift, it still has value. Figure maybe $60 or $70. That's not a cheap kit, so add that to your blank. Now your time plus pucker factor! LOL After doing all of that math you may find that you are happy with the $150. Maybe you would want to go higher. I definitely would not go lower.

Good luck at the show! I want a full report of how it went, I think we all would.

Borg_B_Borg

The turning is nice, the blank is nice. It could be just the limitation of the photography, but it looks like the CA/BLO finish isn't quite there yet because it's not glossy.

Buzzzz4

The turning is nice, the blank is nice. It could be just the limitation of the photography, but it looks like the CA/BLO finish isn't quite there yet because it's not glossy.

I do struggle with getting a real shine from the CA/BLO. I tend to get a beautiful shine with the thin CA 20 coat method, but didn't want the thick plastic look. I think i got what I was going for with this one. Some day I'll figure out the BLO with CA. I might not be doing enough coats of it. I did 5 or so.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I heard a wise man state several times that if you ask $150 for a pen you won't sell it for $200. That being said and done, I would start at $250 and let them talk you down a bit if you are only looking to get $150. I personally would go higher but it depends on the show and what else your display has. Either way, good luck with it, you did a great job with the pen.

Borg_B_Borg

For the record, I never did master CA/BLO myself. I am still using the same thick CA method that I am comfortable with, with its wet plastic look and all, which I love.

I just noticed you mentioned needing 20 coats of thin CA. You might want to try medium or thick CA to build up thickness fast and to cut down on the required number of coats. I only need two coats using thick CA that I apply by sandpaper (not by BLO). I let the CA harden in between coats and sand smooth and polish.

Steve

I do struggle with getting a real shine from the CA/BLO. I tend to get a beautiful shine with the thin CA 20 coat method, but didn't want the thick plastic look. I think i got what I was going for with this one. Some day I'll figure out the BLO with CA. I might not be doing enough coats of it. I did 5 or so.

Last edited:
Top Bottom