First Fountain - Candied Glamour

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sappheiros

Sappheiros

My first fountain pen was meant to be fair and fancy! I'd been waiting to turn a pen with the Blue/Pink dyed box elder burl (such a gorgeous blank)! I had actually meant to turn this pen earlier, but I need a drill bit a bit (pun intended) larger than my 1/2" set would provide. The one I got was 33/64", as the kit asks, but it made quite a tight fit... Does everyone else drill their blanks so tightly? I usually leave space (maybe too much space leading to chips...).

On this pen, I did have a couple chips fly off, but I took some of the colored sawdust and glued it on. It looks pretty good otherwise. (Not a big fan of those eyes peeking through, though.)

Pen #15 - Cambridge Fountain
Kit: Cambridge Fountain Pen - Silver Accents with Titanium Gold
Blank: Turners Choice Double Dyed Box Elder Burl - Blue/Pink (CSUSA)

Attachments

• IMG_6378_1920x1080.jpg
    IMG_6378_1920x1080.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_6382_1920x1080.jpg
    IMG_6382_1920x1080.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_6388_1920x1080.jpg
    IMG_6388_1920x1080.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_6394_1920x1080.jpg
    IMG_6394_1920x1080.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_6395_1920x1080.jpg
    IMG_6395_1920x1080.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 218
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sappheiros

Avi, that's a very nice looking pen !!!

What finish did you use on it, please ?

All I used on it was some Mylands friction polish on it. Nothing too crazy! I'm waiting for some nonstick bushings from CSUSA to try my hand at CA finishing (it's a pain without them..)

Thanks for looking! :)

csr67

Nice pen! I just turned a Sierra blank of Red dyed box elder burl yesterday. Still need to hit it with CA. If I was you, skip the CA bushings and just do your CA between 60 degree centers. It works a lot better for me and there are no issues with chipping the end of the blanks like I did with my CA bushings.

Sappheiros

Thanks for looking! :)

If I was you, skip the CA bushings and just do your CA between 60 degree centers. It works a lot better for me and there are no issues with chipping the end of the blanks like I did with my CA bushings.

That's an interesting idea! I actually placed an order for some bushing when I ordered a new tool, but I'm going to keep that on my to-buy list!

Jgrden

Beautiful pen !! Now let's work on the finish. It needs to be glossy and show depth. You are really onto something great.

Sappheiros

Beautiful pen !! Now let's work on the finish. It needs to be glossy and show depth. You are really onto something great.

I wanted to leave this pen with just the friction polish, but I see that might have been an error if I wanted to highlight the wonderful colors. I'm still very new and using CA finish is a challenge! I turned a pen tonight that got a little "lumpy" if that's the right word... I believe thick CA is not the right route to go. I have a new bottle of thin and medium to break out, so experimenting will happen!

I will say this, though: I've only made 17 pens so far, so I have a lifetime of learning to go! The CA does give a really nice shine to envy, though! I've mostly worked with acrylic blanks because of the infinite choices, but the same can be said for woods. I recently purchased a package of gorgeous blue dyed burl and I know will turn many fantastic pens! Let the experimenting commence!

Top Bottom