First Commission!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DBDanger

DBDanger

I got my first commission completed! Customer wanted a nice gift for his wife's birthday. She is taking ownership of her company and he wanted something nice that she could use and have as display on her desk. The Faith Hope and Love kit(from PSI) fits with the company's mission, and the Curly Koa wood(from Rockler) represents their love of Hawaii. I chose the birds-eye maple and curly maple(both from a local hardwood supplier) for the stand to give some contrast to the pen, and the strip of Koa and the cross to tie the base to the pen.

I found the idea for the curved pen stand while searching on this site, and it looks and works great. The stand and base are finished in a golden oak stain.

The pen is finished using CA. I used a coat of thin wiped on with the lathe off, and 6-10 coats of medium with accelerator inbetween. They requested a satin finish for the pen. I tried using a Satin CA polish that I found at Rockler on a couple test pens and I could not get a finish that I was happy with so I decided to look on the friendly neighborhood IAP forum for some posts about getting a satin finish. After some research, I sanded through all micromesh grits to get a fully finished gloss with no surface imperfections before going back to 3200 grit to cut the gloss. It worked like a charm. I love the feel of the finish, it feels so soft(like satin?).

Photos were taken and edited on my iPhone(13). I have a couple photography lights on stands with umbrellas for directing light and a cheap product photo booth from amazon. I like to zoom in a little on the camera(i think these were at x1.8 or so) and take the photos from a little further back. I feel like this gives a little more room for the camera to focus easier and to make it easier to fill the frame with the piece. Still getting the process down, but these are the best photos so far.

This was a great experience that I need to thank you all here at IAP for. Thank you all for not only sharing your pens, but sharing techniques and tips and for asking questions! I love seeing all the pens and other things you all do, but even more-so, I love that this place is so open and supportive. BTW, the customer and his wife both love the pen/stand and have been showing it off to friends and family. (here's to some word of mouth business!)

Thank you,
Danger
456.jpg
789.jpg
123.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Nice job with both the pen and the stand. I would like to see more people make stands for those special pens.

Valleyboy

I got my first commission completed! Customer wanted a nice gift for his wife's birthday. She is taking ownership of her company and he wanted something nice that she could use and have as display on her desk. The Faith Hope and Love kit(from PSI) fits with the company's mission, and the Curly Koa wood(from Rockler) represents their love of Hawaii. I chose the birds-eye maple and curly maple(both from a local hardwood supplier) for the stand to give some contrast to the pen, and the strip of Koa and the cross to tie the base to the pen.

I found the idea for the curved pen stand while searching on this site, and it looks and works great. The stand and base are finished in a golden oak stain.

The pen is finished using CA. I used a coat of thin wiped on with the lathe off, and 6-10 coats of medium with accelerator inbetween. They requested a satin finish for the pen. I tried using a Satin CA polish that I found at Rockler on a couple test pens and I could not get a finish that I was happy with so I decided to look on the friendly neighborhood IAP forum for some posts about getting a satin finish. After some research, I sanded through all micromesh grits to get a fully finished gloss with no surface imperfections before going back to 3200 grit to cut the gloss. It worked like a charm. I love the feel of the finish, it feels so soft(like satin?).

Photos were taken and edited on my iPhone(13). I have a couple photography lights on stands with umbrellas for directing light and a cheap product photo booth from amazon. I like to zoom in a little on the camera(i think these were at x1.8 or so) and take the photos from a little further back. I feel like this gives a little more room for the camera to focus easier and to make it easier to fill the frame with the piece. Still getting the process down, but these are the best photos so far.

This was a great experience that I need to thank you all here at IAP for. Thank you all for not only sharing your pens, but sharing techniques and tips and for asking questions! I love seeing all the pens and other things you all do, but even more-so, I love that this place is so open and supportive. BTW, the customer and his wife both love the pen/stand and have been showing it off to friends and family. (here's to some word of mouth business!)

Thank you,
DangerView attachment 329512View attachment 329513View attachment 329511
Very smart. I particularly like the way you have the pen overhanging the edge of the stand base. It adds a touch of drama to the whole aesthetic and by doing this you've managed to make a beautiful stand whilst still making the pen the star of the show. Really well executed. I am sure you will get more work off the back of it.
Cheers
Ash

DBDanger

Very smart. I particularly like the way you have the pen overhanging the edge of the stand base. It adds a touch of drama to the whole aesthetic and by doing this you've managed to make a beautiful stand whilst still making the pen the star of the show. Really well executed. I am sure you will get more work off the back of it.
Cheers
Ash
Thank you! That is exactly what I was going for....yup. I didn't just build it this way cause I thought it looked cool. Definitely the dramatic and aesthetic reasons mentioned above....

In all seriousness: While I did not make it this way for those reasons, I appreciate the way you described it because it gives me an articulated idea of why I like the way it looks. I appreciate the insight and can use this to help when I design more pieces.

-Danger

Valleyboy

Thank you! That is exactly what I was going for....yup. I didn't just build it this way cause I thought it looked cool. Definitely the dramatic and aesthetic reasons mentioned above....

In all seriousness: While I did not make it this way for those reasons, I appreciate the way you described it because it gives me an articulated idea of why I like the way it looks. I appreciate the insight and can use this to help when I design more pieces.

-Danger
Haha my pleasure. I am rarely that articulate, so I'm quite proud of my review and hope to see it featured in your product brochures šŸ˜ŠšŸ˜Š

Top Bottom