First Coffee Scoop - Christmas Gift

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jewellmd

jewellmd

My wife & I are avid coffee drinkers. When we used to buy coffee, it would include a cheap plastic coffee scoop. I'm sure, due to cost savings, these companies no longer include them in their product. It got me thinking that I could make one. Not only that, but probably be used just as much as a pen.

The kit from Rockler comes with the metal scoop insert but no brass tube (like pen kits). Being a new turner, I hadn't much experience with turning on centers. This would be a few first's for me. After shopping my own store for just the right acrylic blank, I got to work and knocked this one out relatively quick and it was surprisingly easy.

The handle had to be short due to us keeping the scoop in the coffee can. The end result was pretty decent for a first go. Comments of course welcome.

Attachments

• 20141220 - Acrylic - Coffee Scoop.jpg
    20141220 - Acrylic - Coffee Scoop.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 336
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fay Prozora

It's real nice. I have made several of those. I made mine out of the coffee bean blank and it turned out great. I should post pictures of mine after I get home. I made a pen out of the other blank I had and gave it to my sister. Those coffee bean blanks are made with real coffee beans and smell great when turning them. Great job on yours. Fay

monophoto

PSI has a scoop that includes a brass tube.

It's really not that difficult to do kitless scoops - and there are a number of excellent YouTube videos on the process involved in making them. However, one issue is sizing the bowl. I made a scoop for my son who specified the volume that it had to hold. Using a small scale and a measuring container, I was able to measure the weight per unit of volume of dry coffee. I opted to turn a simple bowl with straight sides that was hollowed with a forstner bit, and knowing the size bit I used, it was easy to determine the depth of the hole to provide the desired volume.

Top Bottom