First Cigars

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from warreng8170

warreng8170

These are my first two attempts at this kit. I like it very much. It's amazing how much more attention these draw vs. slimlines. At the office people think the slims are interesting but these really get a reaction.

I was pretty happy with how they came out considering they were my first tries. I need to put the calipers on the bushings and compare against the kit parts. They don't seem to match up perfectly, especially the top end of the bottom barrel. Of course my custom bushings from johnnycnc should be here tomorrow so my current ones will probably start collecting dust.

First is CSUSA Black Ti and Bocote

200842431355_080422_Pens%20057.jpg

Next is a CSUSA Black Ti and Thuya Burl

200842431455_080422_Pens%20052.jpg

Comments are always welcome and appreciated.

-Warren

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan_F

Both are very nice, you really nailed the finish on the thuya burl. Actually, looks good on both, but I've noticed that "grainy" woods don't show the reflections as well.

Dan

BigShed

Both look very good, like the shape of your cigars, so many I see are too "bulbous" for my taste.

The finish is superb.

I have a feeling I will be ordering some Cigar kits very soon, you're right much more impressive than a slimline.

warreng8170

Originally posted by nava1uni

They are both beautiful. I think it is time to stop being afraid and try this kit. Any tips for the beginner.

Cindy:)

The two things I noticed are that the tubes are different lengths but just barely. Easy to confuse the two. Also, all four ends have different diameters, so that can be confusing as well.

I just made sure to lay out everything in place and marked everything clearly before I started and kept everything in its place during the process. I had to be careful because I turn each half of the pen separately to minimize run-out. I just had to make sure I the right bushing-size/tube-length combinations.

-warren

Originally posted by warreng8170

These are my first two attempts at this kit. I like it very much. It's amazing how much more attention these draw vs. slimlines. At the office people think the slims are interesting but these really get a reaction.

Very nice! I have to agree, I was also surprised at how much "wow" the cigar pens got at my office, even compared to the fancier pens with caps. My pens generally get confiscated for a week's test run by our office receptionist and I get a thurough evaluation in the end :D

redfishsc

The shape is elegant, but man is that finish dreamy!

Originally posted by Vince_Hoffmann

My pens generally get confiscated for a week's test run by our office receptionist and I get a thurough evaluation in the end :D

When a new pen comes along, THAT is a great person to have around. I always test "new pen kits" when they come out (unless they are a clone like the churchill/elgrande) and folks like her will give a good honest answer.

huskerturner

Originally posted by warreng8170

Originally posted by huskerturner

I agree with you...people love the fat pens [8D] Is that a CA finish?

Yes, it is CA/BLO. Probably about 8 layers.

-warren

When I started, I used just the CA in layers with a lot of sanding on most of the pens I made, some would turn out great and some not so great. I have been seeing people mention this CA/BLO technique. I would like to learn more about it. The pen in the last pic looks like you got perfect results from that technique. I assume the Linseed Oil is available many places. Is there a brand I should look for or a certain type?

warreng8170

[/quote]
When I started, I used just the CA in layers with a lot of sanding on most of the pens I made, some would turn out great and some not so great. I have been seeing people mention this CA/BLO technique. I would like to learn more about it. The pen in the last pic looks like you got perfect results from that technique. I assume the Linseed Oil is available many places. Is there a brand I should look for or a certain type?
[/quote]

The first few pens I made, I used only CA also. They came out OK, but not great. Adding the BLO made all the difference. It really helps the CA "flow" across the blank. I use a slightly modified version of Russ Farfield's technique which is posted in the library.
I think I use more oil per pass than he does.

My technique is still not perfect. If your interested, look for a post from me in the penturning forum in the next day or so. I plan on seeking adive on the one problem I seem to still be having.

I bought the BLO at Lowes in the paint section. At the rate that I am going through it, it looks like it will last through AT LEAST a couple of hundred pens.

-warren

Top Bottom