First Castings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

larryc

Here are a couple of my first castings (Well the good ones anyway).

The first one is for a friend of mine using some beer caps he supplied me.

The second one is a medical symbol that I printed on a label. No competition for Constant here!

All I know about casting I learned here at IAP.
I used the Silmar 41 and the Resinsavers from Newlondon88.

I'm not showing the 6 disasters that I cast at the same time. I tried fishing flies on 2 of them (broke through to metal hooks immediately when I started to turn), 2 of them I had the material on the tube too close to the ends, and 2 of them the paint on the tubes crinkled (I can't remember whether I used Testors or Krylon paint - I've got to try again and keep better notes).

Attachments

• 10148.jpg
    10148.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 224
  • 10152.jpg
    10152.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 186

manatee

They look great! I have been having the same trouble lately making beer cap pens, mostly paint problems.

jskeen

Very nice work! well turned too! I think I remember seeing spare tubes for the sierra somewhere in either shiny nickel or black (not dead black, more dark grey). CSUSA sells "chameleon" tubes for some kits, but not the sierra. If you can't find that, try the brass darkener that Indy Pen Dance sells. It causes a chemical reaction that darkens the brass tubes, rather than just a layer of paint that can lift off. Probably easier to glue too than paint too. In any case keep trying!

PS; At least your friend has good taste in beer! I had somebody ask me once if I could cast a budwieser label. I said "as long as I don't have to drink it first. It seems to lose something on the trip through the horses kidneys". Remember "beer should not be yellow till you are finished with it" :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom