First casting - milky

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bcoyne

Suggestions what went wrong? I cast two blanks and the left over alumilite in alone to see what happened. Blanks came out milky and other was clear. Tubes were painted, cover with mod podge, logo was glued on with mod podge, dried 48 hr and casted. New alumilite also. 40 PSI 2 hrs. Also had made a 2 shelf holder for inside pot. blanks were on the bottom.

suggestions?

thanks
Bob

Attachments

• 20140821_173619.jpg
    20140821_173619.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 283
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Super Dave

You said the logo was glued on ?? I have used sticker paper, cover the entire tube, then seal with thin CA. Let dry overnight before casting. Worked for me.

Dave

PTownSubbie

One other cause could be the part a and part b ratio. If not mixed by weight that will also cause it to turn milky.

But I think they said the leftover cured clear. I am with Seamus and Jonathon on this one. I think this milky probably came from the Modge Podge.

Milky tint can come from inadequate mixing or improper ratios. But this screams moisture......

Kenny Durrant

My response wasn't to contradict others but to give you other options or ideas to consider. Also on the Mod Podge I have yet to get a successful cast using it. I think it is a great product because it makes the colors pop and I like the way it handles when applying the pictures. I know others use it with no problems. I pretty much just use plain old Elmers now.

Top Bottom