First Casting....Disaster....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TomW

Ok, really kinda funny....

Made up a HF pressure pot, and decided to make a small casting of Crystal clear Alumilite and some dried flowers from the garden. Got it all mixed, poured and placed in pressure pot. Applied 50psi. Waited one hour....

Opened the pot. The mold was empty. The alumilite and flowers were plastered all over the inside of the pot....

Turns out when I plugged in the air supply, 50 psi air sprayed straight down the pot and displaced all the stuff out of the mould....live and learn!

I screwed a 90 degree elbow on the air inlet under the lid, and made another casting with great success.

Now, every time I open the pot, I'll be reminded about first casting comedy.

Tom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

artistwood

now i'm skeeeeeeerrrred!!!!!!! flowers blowing up, coffee beans blowing up....????!!!! i used to think i wanted to try casting........maybe not. i'll just get my stuff from dawn for now. i don't think my shop has explosion insurance!..:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
seriously, if not for others sharing their mistakes along with their success, i wouldn't learn near as much....soooooooooooooo....thanks to TOM for blowing up his flowers so that people like me can learn. very cool!!!...............bear

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I think we have all blown something up while casting at some point. I was in a rush and put the full mold in the pot and cranked it up to 80# real quick and then notices that my top board was still sitting on the bench. It does come off easily, just tap it lightly with a hard object.

Top Bottom