First Cast

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GregMuller

I did my first cast on friday. It was a label cast and so far it looks good. Used a resin saver mold and Michaels PR resin. No pressure pot. My question is that while the resin seems hard it is still a little tacky. Do I wait a little longer to turn it. Will the tackiness go away. The leftover resin in the mixing cup is very hard but it also a little tacky. I am not is a rush but I want to turn it next week. Any thoughts.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Be sure the PR is totally cured...hard...hard...hard before trying to take it out of the mold. I can appear to be hard but still a bit rubbery and can separate from the label. The surface exposed to the air will be tacky but will dry. Place it out in the sunshine for a few hours.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Wright

Make sure it sets up least 24 hours and that you added the right amount of hardner. Usually 3 drops per ounce. Mine come out tacky sometimes after it is hard and I just put the blank in the toaster oven for 5 min on 200 degrees. It will be dry then. Hope this helps.

My question is that while the resin seems hard it is still a little tacky. Do I wait a little longer to turn it. Will the tackiness go away.

This can be caused by several things, inadequate mixing (not likely in your case) Improper ratio, or temperature.

If you don't mix the resin thuroughly, then the blank is a waste. But... if the resin is fingernail soft, then you can bake it in the oven set on the LOWEST temperature for about 45 minutes. This will cause the resin to finish catalyzing and the resin will harden up very nicely.

I do this often in the winter and have never had problems.

Good luck!

Top Bottom