First cartridge pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RollTide

Status
Not open for further replies.

RollTide

It took me probably two weeks to get some deer antler from a co-worker who said everyday "I've got plenty of'em! How many you want?". Anyway this is White Tail deer antler with a 308 casing using a slim line kit. This is my first completed pen using shell casings and still experimenting. This casing was only polished and no finish. These don't seem to turn to bad and polish up very easily. The antler was a pain to get a finish on. It seemed the marrow would really soak it up. Need to find a way to slightly narrow the end of the neck. There is a very slight ridge where the neck and nib meet. A slightly tapered hole drilled in a metal block would probably do the trick.

Thanks,
Steve

200712222455_cartridgepen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

drayman

steve, well done that looks great, i got some on the way and if it turns out as good as yours i will be a happy chapie.

Firefyter-emt

Nice combo! What I have been doing is using my soldering iron to solder the brass tube to the shell at the nib end. Once this was done I lightly end mill the tube and solder flush and place the casing between centers. Using files and sandpaper along with my calipers I then bring the casing down to slimline size (.331) There is enough brass to do this and it makes a big diffrence in having the nib flush!

txbatons

Nice pen. Looks like a good fit to me. Personally, I like the chrome kits with that particular casing, but that's not to knock yours. I've got plenty of antler but hate turning it because of the stench. I have a couple to turn for Christmas presents and I get the heebie jeebies just thinking about it.

rhahnfl

I think it looks great. Maybe a little buffing and some carnuba wax. You'd be amazed how much it will shine up. I started soaking my antler with a good bit of thin CA to help strengthen it... especially when its has a lot of "soft spots".

sparhawk

Steve did you try out your p c gun on that cartridge or is it just polished? I meant to tell you that i have to turn down the end of the cartridge to fit the nib when i make one. And I usually use a slimline nib and a european top half (and european bottom tube)because the nib fits the cartridge better than the european nib and the top half of the cartridge is a close fit for the european centerband. (If you use the band.)Still great work and I may have to get you to p c some shells for me when you get it up and working.

Sylvanite

Given that the case shown is nickel-plated, I doubt you'll be able to turn it down to the nib diameter. You'd be likely to cut through the plating. I think you'd be better served by sizing the neck down. I presume you've started with a fired case. If so, running the case through a sizing die may or may not help - I'd have to check the dimensions of a sized case and a nib to be sure. If not, there are devices that could compress the case mouth - such as the "Factory Crimp Die" from Lee Precision. It is basically a press-mounted collet that compresses the case just at the mouth edge. The downside to the crimp die is that it leaves a mark on the case. If you have a collet chuck, you might be able to size the case neck with it.

Antler marrow is very porous. When I run into a marrow section, I repeatedly flood it with CA glue until it won't take anymore. Think of it as "stabilization".

You have a very nice start there. Keep up the good work and have fun!

Regards,
Eric

Sylvanite

Originally posted by Sylvanite
<br />I'd have to check the dimensions of a sized case and a nib...
Ok, I pulled out some new 30-06 and 308 cases (r-p and win, nickel and brass), and some nibs (gold, copper, rhodium, and black ti from woodnwhimsies fancy slimline kits) and measured them. The nibs ran about 0.335-0.336 and the case mouths about 0.334-0.335 (+/- 0.001 out of round).

Holding the parts against each other, they seemed to be well-matched. Powder-coating the cases would add a bit to their diameter, but that might actually be a good thing. I find that being a few thousandths proud of the nib helps cover up small non-concentricities and materials movement with temperature changes. I also feel that being slightly proud of the nib is less noticable than being slightly shy.

I went on to check a couple reloading manuals and found that outside neck diameter for 30-06 is spec'ed at 0.339 and 308 at 0.3435. Given that most rifle chambers are overbored, I'd expect fired cases to have mouths well over 0.340.

So, if you feel that your fired cases' mouths are too big, the simplest thing to do would be to use new brass instead. Next up would be to run the case through a sizing die. That would return the case mouth to the original diameter. A kit capable of resizing a 30-06 case can be had for under $20, or a basic reloading press and dies for less than $50. Alternatively, you could find someone who loads their own ammunition to do it for you.

Regards,
Eric

RollTide

Eric....thanks for the information and you are right, the nickle casing can't be turned because it will start showing the brass. I went to a local shooting range not long ago and picked up several 30.06 casings. They necks varied I guess due to so many different guns having fired them. So the easiest solution to the proper size neck would be what you suggested...new casing or running it through a resizing die. I do know someone who reloads and should be able to do that for me.

Hugo...that casing is just polished. I did get my powder coat gun and have been experimenting a little with it. If you need some casings cleared let me know. Shouldn't be a problem. I cleared a couple the other day and they turned out pretty good. Also, I got some 7mm tubes for the magnifying kit from WoodCraft and I cut them to the length of the casing. But then you still have to decide if you want to finish it off with a european or slim line finial and clip.

fernhills

Hi, i made a lot of cartrige pens so far using 30-06 shell casing and the nib on the slimline match up perfect,so i stick to that size .I have to make the other style where the shell is cut into sections and then using wood for parts of body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom