First ca finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Neededwill

So this is my 4th pen I have turned as I am just beginning and loving it!! I wanted to try a ca finish so this is my first attempt. Always looking for pointers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 251
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Looks good. Slow speed on lathe, keep your applicator moving, use accelerator every forth coat, Sand by hand lengthwise with power off and remove all shiny spots, I use 6-8 coats of thick CA to finish, MM to 12,000, two coats of One-Step Plastic Polish. Look in the library for videos on CA finishing, also on You Tube. Jim S

Last edited:

joek30296

Looks good...especially for a 1st attempt. You should have seen my 1st. It was pitiful. Save that pen and go back and look at it in Feb., 2014. You'll be amazed.

joe

Neededwill

Thanks for the compliments! On this pen my first couple layers were very lumpy so had to sand down and start over. Also learned that regular paper towels do not compare to blue shop towels. The blue shop towels allowed the glue to sit on the towel and not soak in like the paper towel did. And McGuire's plastic x is awesome as a polish and not expensive. I still prefer the real wood feel and look but a couple people asked me to make them some pens with the glossy finish so I wanted to try. It is my 5th pen as I am a beginner to wood turning.

Thanks for the compliments! On this pen my first couple layers were very lumpy so had to sand down and start over. Also learned that regular paper towels do not compare to blue shop towels. The blue shop towels allowed the glue to sit on the towel and not soak in like the paper towel did. And McGuire's plastic x is awesome as a polish and not expensive. I still prefer the real wood feel and look but a couple people asked me to make them some pens with the glossy finish so I wanted to try. It is my 5th pen as I am a beginner to wood turning.

You will love craft foam then you can pick it up at Micheals.

panamag8or

Looks good. Put a fancy slim CB on it, though... it will make up for where it's proud at the CB.
As for the craft foam, see if they have the stuff that looks like tongue depressors. Each one make 4 perfect applicators, and you get 100 in a package.

Last edited:
Top Bottom