First Box - Padauk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from THarvey

THarvey

This started out as a beautiful piece of Padauk.

It is still a beautiful piece of Padauk. My box skills need some work. I learned a lot in my first attempt at a box.

It is too humid to apply poly, so the finish will have to wait til another day.

Please don't look too close. There is plenty of room for improvement. :beat-up:

Thanks for looking. Comments welcome. (You suggetions are also welcome.) :biggrin:

Attachments

• Padauk Box - Closed.jpg
    Padauk Box - Closed.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 311
  • Padauk Box - Open.jpg
    Padauk Box - Open.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 309
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Looks pretty good to me!:biggrin:

Are those finger joints?
Dovetail joints would have really made it look smart!
I know you can use a router to make them, so they are super easy to do once set up.

I think it will shine once you apply your finish!!!

Andrew

ctubbs

The wood work is excellent, however the finish leaves something to be desired.:wink::biggrin: I know, you told me right off there was no finish on it yet, but I just had to find some flaw and that was all I could see.:biggrin::biggrin: By the way, router dovetails are not plug and play. DAMHIK please.:redface::eek::biggrin:
Charles

Last edited:

Woodnknots

nice job overall, I wouldn't cut yourself short on the design. Only I thing I would suggest is to tape off all surfaces where your glue can seep out from the joints. I could be wrong, but it looks like I see cured glue on the inside corners of the box. Once it's cured it's a pain to get rid of, and since I rarely put finish on the inside of a box I'm always paranoid of leaving glue there.

THarvey

Nice box.

Are those finger joints?
Dovetail joints would have really made it look smart!
I disagree, with both options. Given the type of wood and the grain, I'd have gone with a mitered join.

Possibly even a lock miter.

I thought about miters, but did not think I was ready to do that first time out.

Also, I could not continually match the grain pattern all the way around the box. The sides are resawn, so that oposite sides mirror each other.

LeeR

Nicely done. Looking at the small thumbnail pictures, I thought the wood looked like cedar, and the bigger pictures remind me of tulipwood. I don't think I've seen padauk with that much color variation.

Get that finish on and post an update! :)

Top Bottom