First Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from massman

massman

I had to have a Maple Tree cut in my backyard last fall. I grabbed a spalted piece and green cut my first bowl. I then let it dry in a brown bag for a few months and just finished it. Not as relaxing as pens, but fun anyways.

Attachments

• maplebowl2.jpg
    maplebowl2.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 231
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Very nice! Looks like you had no checking problems. Did you soak it in anything or just paper bag it?

opfoto

Very nice especially with a 1st time effort.

I am also working on my 1st bowl...using walnut. Hopefully I'll finish it tomorrow.

Last edited:
Bernie,
Great piece.. I like working with maple... maybe 'cause I had a 3' diameter tree fall in my back yard a few years back and I still have a ton or two of wood to work up... Mine is dry and spalting and sometimes I get pieces that are almost beyond their useful life, but has some incredible spalting marks.

I find the bowls and peppermills and such to be as much if not more relaxing as doing pens.. 'course if I can run my lathe, I'm happy.

paprgypc

Dying maple

Nice looking bowl. I really like working with maple, it turns so easily. I dye it for a change of space sometimes.

I have a lot of curly maple that I think wood make great pen blanks. I saw your post about dying maple and wondered if you could share your technique or point me in the right direction on what to try.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

Top Bottom