First Baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from allenworsham

allenworsham

This is my first Baron. It is the first non-practice pen that I have done between centers (I love those centers). I also picked up a set of calipers with large digital read out, so I can see it. It was really great turing the blanks down without touching the bushings and then doing a final sand to fit without the bushings.

The pen is a chrome Baron made with Cocobolo and finished with CA. The photos aren't great, but useable. The fit at the ends are almost perfect using those calipers within a couple 100ths.

20084311710_Baron%201.jpg

20084311731_Baron%202.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

karlkuehn

Banned
Nice looking pen, Allen! Love that cocobolo

One thing to note, when you're turning without bushings, the sanding step is a little bit dicey, and you can easily round over the edges of the tubes. If you look close at your pen there, you can see what looks like gaps between the fittings and the wood, and it's not that the fittings need to be pressed in harder, it's just a microscopic chamfer happening there.

I've never turned between centers, so I'm not any help with a solution, but that's a problem that I've seen with that method before. [B)]:)

allenworsham

Originally posted by karlkuehn

One thing to note, when you're turning without bushings, the sanding step is a little bit dicey, and you can easily round over the edges of the tubes. If you look close at your pen there, you can see what looks like gaps between the fittings and the wood, and it's not that the fittings need to be pressed in harder, it's just a microscopic chamfer happening there.

I've never turned between centers, so I'm not any help with a solution, but that's a problem that I've seen with that method before. [B)]:)

Karl,

You are correct. I found with my practice pens between centers that the round over was really bad. Now that I got the calipers, it makes it easier, but I have to watch the ends and tread lightly.Depending on the kit and how critical the length is, I can rub the end with a thin parting tool after final sand prior to applying the finish. This will help to knock off the round over for a better transition.

randyrls

Originally posted by karlkuehn

To join the thread; I use a cartridge camphering tool to put a slight campher on the brass tube and ends. This is in case the corner on the fitting isn't sharp. Make sure the brass tube doesn't stand proud of the blank. Also make sure there isn't the least little bit of glue inside the tube.

Over-all a keeper!

Top Bottom