First Attempt - Urchin Christmas Ornament

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from THarvey

THarvey

Took advantage of my Labor Day day off to try something new.

Urchin Christmas Ornament - Pink Sea Urchin with Bloodwood

I am going to need more practice to get comfortable turning the spindle more narrow. I am generally pleased for my first time out.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Urchin - Bloodwood Ornament - 1.jpg
    Urchin - Bloodwood Ornament - 1.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 377
  • Urchin - Bloodwood Ornament - 2.jpg
    Urchin - Bloodwood Ornament - 2.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 357
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

I have always liked these. Nice work. My only recommendation, and I am sure you already spotted it would be to make your undercuts a little deeper so it will set flush when you put it together. I know it is easier said than done sometimes because I am still working on that with my ornaments and I don't have to deal with natures odd shapes like you are.

Also, something that I found if you don't like the shiny loop you can coat it with Liquid Bluing and turn it a dark blueish black.

THarvey

I have always liked these. Nice work. My only recommendation, and I am sure you already spotted it would be to make your undercuts a little deeper so it will set flush when you put it together. I know it is easier said than done sometimes because I am still working on that with my ornaments and I don't have to deal with natures odd shapes like you are.

Also, something that I found if you don't like the shiny loop you can coat it with Liquid Bluing and turn it a dark blueish black.

This was actually the second urchin for this turning. The first one fit nicely, but I broke it when assembling the pieces. Found the urchin with the closest fit I could for the replacement.

Thanks.

alamocdc

I like the urchin use in the ornament, Tim. And the spindle work is nice, but like my first few, just a bit too bold. Like you, I was too timid in trying to go more petit. But I've learned a trick that I'll share. 1) Keep it between centers only to get the spindle round. 2) Once round, back off the tail stock and work only on the free end (the point) to define the shape. 3) Take material off toward the head stock only as needed for finalizing the shape of the end. 4) Continue to work back defining the shape and part off the finished finial. This process will vitually eliminate the flexing and chatter that occurs when making the cuts at the unsupported end. I hope this makes sense.

Fred

If these urchins spheres are as difficult as their spines are to dig/cut/excavate out of your finger or foot I'm surprised they survive handling. Be very thankful these things are sold without their spines ... they can be very nasty. Some folks eat these things at Sushi bars but I have never been able to get one to go down myself. I do believe they make much better ornaments!

As or the spindles they look great. The more of them you turn the better you will get.

Top Bottom