First Attempt at Mold Fabrication

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dick Mahany

Although I've been turning for a few years, pen making is totally new for me. I have been reading the great info from the library here and want to take a stab at stabilizing, and casting. After reading "plantman's" excellent tutorial, I decided to make a resin saving mold. This one will be for Sierra and Streamline blanks. I used a silicone RTV from Tap Plastics and it came out pretty good except there was a little deformation on the smaller set of tube pegs where the mold plugs apparently didn't get filled quite enough. I think I can reform them with silicone.

Has anyone ever needed to add a little fill to a silicone mold? If so what did you use?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMGP5584.jpg
    IMGP5584.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

plantman

:bananen_smilies022:Dick; Yes, it is very important to force all the air out of the plug holes, but all is not lost !!! There are several ways to overcome this problem. The mould matrial is silicon, so it is hard to get anything to stick to it. From the photo, it looks like you have somewhat of a peg on the outer edge. You only need enough to keep the tube level. If its not tight in the tube, pack a little Play Dough in the end so your resin won't seep in. When you cast, it won't be under any pressure to force resin in. 2ed you could take a tube and bevel the end a little to make a punch and hammer it through the center of your mold, making a plug to replace the bad one. You could make a 1" long dowel to fit inside of your tube and cut the bad nib of flush, and make a hole to fit the dowel or plug in. Or pack the end of the tube and stick a round toothpick into it from the outside. One of these should work for you. The mould looks good. Glad you enjoyed the tutorial. Jim S

Last edited:

Dick Mahany

Thank you for the quick feedback ! All good suggestions and I'll see how well the tubes fit the pegs once my kits arive and then decide how best to go. Much appreciated !

Top Bottom