First attempt at a leather pen, first time putting pen on site!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Padre

Padre

Well, after JT's gentle prodding in this thread last week, I decided to post one of my pens for the first time.

Since I am in a huge cast on my left leg, this pen took me over a week to complete.

I punched out 3/4" leather discs. I dyed some of them dark brown and then punched another center hole in each 'plug.' Mounted them one by one (3 un-dyed, 1 dyed) on an Elegant Sierra Button Click tube (exotics). For each disc I slathered it with medium CA glue. I kept adding discs/glue until the tube was completely covered about 1/8" over each tube end. I then used a clamp and compressed the discs and let it sit for 24 hours.

Took the clamp off, put the between center bushings in (Johnnycnc) and turned with a very sharp roughing gouge.

Sanded 80, 120, 220, 320, 400 and 600. Then put 10 coats of thin CA glue on. WET micro-meshed 1500, 2400, 3200, 3600, 4000, 6000, 8000 and 12000. Put on a coat of HUT plastic polish and came in and took these pictures.

I will buff it before I put it up for sale.

Tell me what you think. Please.

leathersierraclick.jpg

forum

leathersierraclick1.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Papa mark

Padre what did you use to punch out the leather if you don't mind sharing. I reciently bought a sack full of leather scraps and have not got around to making a pen yet. Good looking pen BTW.

Padre

I bought a cheap set of leather punches on Ebay. Just like this one. It works fine, nice and sharp. If I could find a 1" punch, that would be cool.

I use the round punches because it is easier to turn once you have it all glued up.

Jon-wx5nco

Chip,
That is an AWESOME pen!!!

That is the same punch set that I use. I did mine just slightly different. I used scissors and cut 3/4 x 3/4 squares then used the punch to knock out the center for the tube. Not that it makes any difference, but it might be just a shade quicker than all that hammering. I also used tight bond glue to do the glue up, then soaked it all in thin CA. I'm doing a wallstreet 3 leather pen now and I used thick CA to do the glue up. To me, it seems the tight bond did a better job (and its cheaper).

I wish I had died some of the leather in mine. I think that gives it the extra....zing... the pen needs. Here is the one I did http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=69373

Padre

Thank Jon, I think the titebond would be easier on the fingers too!

jskeen

However you punch the OD of your disks, you can save some time and just line them up on a piece of 2 inch masking tape, and when you get the length you think will work, wrap the edges of the tape up the sides, put in a clamp and compress slightly, then soak with ca. Tighten the clamp up so till the glue squeezes slightly, then loosen till it is just absorbed. Let cure, then chuck on your lathe or mount in drilling vise, and drill the size hole you need for your tube. squirt in some more ca, insert tube, then put back in clamp and press to length of tube. let cure and turn.

I find that faster than punching two holes per disk.

ctubbs

I know envy is a sin, but I just can't help it. Beautiful pen. Are you really going to sell it? I'd be so proud of a pen like that i'd put the clip inside my pocket and let the pen hang out!

Charles

toddlajoie

Chip, the pen (and the photos) look fantastic!!! I keep meaning to try leather, but haven't made the time yet... The dying adds a nice bit of style...

alphageek

Former Moderator
Wow! Very nice looking pen... And I know pictures don't tell the whole story, but it really doesn't look like it needs buffing.. nice shine already!

johnnycnc

Nice first pictures, Chip... i love the pen, and now we all want to see more.
Congrats, pics are better than most of mine and the pen looks really good for a guy with a cast on~

Padre

Thank you all for your positive comments! I really appreciate them all.

jskeen, I'm not quite sure I understand. Any pictures?

Top Bottom