First Atlas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wudnhed

Status
Not open for further replies.

wudnhed

Well as the title says, it's my first Atlas. Wood is Afzilia Xylay. Finish is 5 coats of thin CA, 3 coats of CA/BLO and last Mylands.

200721312630_attt.jpg

Thanks for looking and any comments welcome!

200721314912_atttts.jpg

Wanted to see the wood better:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wudnhed

Gary, I didn't like this kit either but after I was done putting it together, I felt differently. It's not my favorite but I like it now!

Thanks everyone!

ilikewood

Nice Pen Becca!!

Funny thing is, that does not look like any Afzelia X-Lay I have ever seen. Did you dye it? Are you sure it is Afzelia? Afzelia X-lay looks like snake skin and is much more light colored, or that is one strange piece.[:)]

200721314533_Afzelia2.jpg
<br />

wudnhed

My bad, Bill, it is a blank I got from Jeff and I must have gotten them mixed up. I think it must be the Bubinga, does that make sense?

BTW, thanks everyone for your kind comments.

Mikey

Originally posted by ilikewood
<br />Nice Pen Becca!!

Funny thing is, that does not look like any Afzelia X-Lay I have ever seen. Did you dye it? Are you sure it is Afzelia? Afzelia X-lay looks like snake skin and is much more light colored, or that is one strange piece.[:)]

200721314533_Afzelia2.jpg
<br />

I agree with the snakeskin look, but I have a nice dark piece that I have been working with for a while. In any event, the pen shown above does not appear to show this figure. This leads me to another rant. I notice lately that woods labeled XYlay are only somewhat figured or only figured halfway through. If we are paying the premium price that is being asked, we should get what is advertised.

wudnhed

Whew, thank goodness we cleared that up. I would've hated to sell that labeling the wrong wood.[:(] I cut the Afzelia for a Sierra. Yeah, read my tag line and you know what happened[:p]

BTW, thanks!

ilikewood

I know you sell quite a few of your pens Becca and that is why I thought I better chime in and correct the wood. There have been several occations where I have seen a mislabeled wood and it is quite easy to do in your own collection. The more you handle wood all these different woods, the more you will be able to pick a piece up and say, "Ah, Bubinga!". BTW- Bubinga is a really fantastic wood. Big Rob had some curly stuff not too long ago that was top of the line!

wudnhed

I still have some of BigRob's Pomelle Bubinga and yes it's beautiful. I tend to save the really beautiful wood for that perfect kit, why I don't know[:0][:0][:0] Trouble is, my wood collection is getting quite extensive, LOL! Anyway, thanks again, I'm glad we all fixed it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom