First Antler Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

stoneman

Hello all. New penturner here. Just got up and running two days ago and have turned three pens on my own. I got into it mostly to try to turn pens from moose antler sheds we find each spring here in Vermont. As I learn the basics, I would appreciate any comments or feedback. Here is my first (moose) antler pen, a chrome Sierra. I hope to develop the skill to do some with "live" sections in the future. Comments?
tn_FirstAntlerPen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
1 - Welcome to the group
2 - Very nice pen! A heck of a lot nicer than any of my first few!
3 - Don't understand your reference to "live" sections: do you mean you're going to try it while still attached to the moose???? I wish you luck and godspeed!

stoneman

By "live" section I actually meant having a portion of the natural antler showing on the finished pen. I've seen it done in a few photos of antler pens. I think turning it with the moose still attached would require a bigger lathe than a Jet mini?[:)]
Besides, I'm not sure that my son's Black Lab, Riley, could retrieve them if still attached!
tn_RileyWithHorn62.jpg

THarvey

Originally posted by stoneman
<br />By "live" section I actually meant having a portion of the natural antler showing on the finished pen. I've seen it done in a few photos of antler pens. I think turning it with the moose still attached would require a bigger lathe than a Jet mini?[:)]
Besides, I'm not sure that my son's Black Lab, Riley, could retrieve them if still attached!
tn_RileyWithHorn62.jpg

I live in Alabama. I realize if I ask this question of a Southern Redneck, I am likely to get shot. However, I feel a little safer asking someone that lives further north.

Can I borrow your dog????

rhahnfl

Nice pen!!! I made a copper sierra out of antler last evening... didn't turn out as nice as yours. I have issues getting the ends squared. Hard to use a pen mill and drill press when they are such odd shapes. Going to try to square it after the fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom