First antler pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bmac

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmac

I got my shipment of antlers from Bill and this is my first attempt at turning antler. It's an El Grande.

Bobby McCarley
Louisiana

200521112956_DSCN0052.jpg

200521113036_DSCN0053.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
G

The kit sets off the antler well!
How did you like working with the antler?

elody21

Good Job! It looks great! Have you got the smell of antler out of your nose yet?

Tropical

Nice looking pen. I have never turned antler myself but I have read here that it SMELLLLLSSSS! How did you find the odour?

G

Originally posted by elody21
<br />Good Job! It looks great! Have you got the smell of antler out of your nose yet?
Just in passing.
I've noticed that a lot of people comment or complain of the smell while turiing antler.
Many also complain about CA fumes.
I'm wondering if those who experience this have a D.C. hooked up for their lathes.
I turn a lot of antler, and also use CA quite a bit while turning.
I have a D.C. boot directly behind the lathe and don't experience any problems with odors or fumes.
Just wondering.
Maybe time for a poll.

bmac

Thanks for all of the comments. I appreciate them. For a first time material it went OK. Kind of hard to drill something that is not straight, but managed. It turned better than I thought it would, no chip out and no catches. As far as the smell, I wore a respirator and kept a DC on while turning, so no problems there. Overall experience in my opinion was good and plan on turning a few more.

One question I have is, has anyone had a antler pen laser engraved? How does it do?

Again, thanks for the comments
Bobby McCArley
Louisiana

G

I asked about the laser engraving at Woodturningz as far as antler goes and Jason said it turned out nice.
As far as drilling antler goes I use a bandsaw sled and a cabinet type clampI rip cut it and turn it 90º and then rip it again.
This gives me one straight side to refrence in the drilling jig.
Antother thing I have tried but is time consuming is to turn to a rough cylinder prior to drilling.
Make sure the area that will come in contact with the drilling jig is straight and the same diameter,not tapered.
Put the cylinder in the jig then drill.
Cutting antler in the curved form is what I imagine what a diamond cutter goes through,
It took me only one blow out with a nice piece of anteler before I figured it was time to find a way to do it that wasn't wasteful.
(The good parts became centerbands)
After rough cutting the antler to length and getting close to square on the ends(leave enough for trimming) I clamp the antler length-wise in a cabinet clamp.I have a 12" Bessy I bought to use for holding stock that I need to free hand route on my router table with a starting pin.Rip lenght wise on one side. Reposition the blank and rip the one more length wise side.This will give you 2 sides that will allow you to square up the ends for drilling.
This will eliminate some drift while drilling.
I added that in to give a better idea how I do it.
It is time consuming.
THough some may think it is not neccessary I have tried eliminating this step for drilling antler and sometimes I've been lucky with no catastrophies, but it only takes one blow out to learn"better safe than sorry" Rather than better luck next time.[xx(]

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by Eaglesc
<br />
Originally posted by elody21
<br />Good Job! It looks great! Have you got the smell of antler out of your nose yet?
Just in passing.
I've noticed that a lot of people comment or complain of the smell while turiing antler.
Many also complain about CA fumes.
I'm wondering if those who experience this have a D.C. hooked up for their lathes.
I turn a lot of antler, and also use CA quite a bit while turning.
I have a D.C. boot directly behind the lathe and don't experience any problems with odors or fumes.
Just wondering.
Maybe time for a poll.

Eagle, you're right one - I have also my DC directly sucking smell, dust and chips away from my lathe with a dusthood that once came from PSI. When I drilled the stuff I use my shop vac to suck dust, chips and smell in.

Rudy
SE MI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom