First Acrylic Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim Smith

Jim Smith

My job keeps me too busy to get much time in my shop, so I have still turned less than 20 pens, but I thought I'd try an acrylic blank. I turned this pen on a Gent Jr in copper. The blank is the AA-Y from AS. The finish is simply sanded down to 12K and a couple of coats of Ren Wax. Comments welcome. Sorry about the photo, as you can see I'm still photograhpically challenged.

012.jpg

Jim Smith
Conyers, Ga

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Sorry, what do you need to be sorry about??? Excellent photo and the kit is a great compliment to the blank. Perfect together as they say here in NJ. Nice job. I hope to somday reach that caliber of work.

Jim Smith

Thank you all for the kind words. I made the pen as a gift for a woman that runs the bible study at our church. This woman seems to like a bit of bling so I tried the acrylic and the color combination of copper and gold/black/brown looks pretty together.

Les,
The acrylic was super easy to turn. After rounding down the corners on the blank, I turned up the speed to about 2300 rpm and it was like cutting butter. The super loooong shavings were a bit different, especially when they wrap around the mandrel, but they're easy to pull off, even with the lathe running. All-in-all, I found the acrylic a pleasure to turn and I will definately do more pens in acrylic.

Jim Smith

Top Bottom