First acrylic pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cabhog

Cabhog

Made a pen for my wife today she wanted a pink slimline. Here it is my first acrylic turning, it was fun I found it different from wood but I liked the way it turned.Any C&C are welcome. The picture was taken from my phone thanks for looking
attachment.php

Attachments

• pink pen.jpg
    pink pen.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 312
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RSidetrack

Not bad at all. Acrylic is a great material to work with, but heat is the largest problem with it as far as I am concerned. You can't rush drilling or turning it, but with patience it comes out looking great. Great job on it! What did you do for finishing? MM to 12,000 and polish?

plantman

Nice job on first Acrylic !! I suggest using a white or one color backround when you take photos, everything else takes the eye away from the pen. Also your camera doesn't have to deside what is the main focal point. Your photo is sharp and clear, but to many things going on in the backround. Jim S

Cabhog

Thanks for the input! I'm not to good at taking pictures, I'll find a one color sheet and use it. Yes mm was used to 12000 and Meguiars #10 plastic polish.

I did a lot of research on here on IAP and you tube before trying acrylics. This saved me from drilling to fast and about the heat issues. There sure is a wealth
of information here. In my short time of becoming a IAP member, my skill level has increased quite a bit but my pen knowledge went through the roof! I had no idea there was so much to know about making pens. My next step is to cast my own blanks, I find the blanks that the members here have made are unique and fascinating. I'm looking forward to learning a new process and skill.

Thanks for the C&C

plantman

Thanks for the input! I'm not to good at taking pictures, I'll find a one color sheet and use it. Yes mm was used to 12000 and Meguiars #10 plastic polish.

I did a lot of research on here on IAP and you tube before trying acrylics. This saved me from drilling to fast and about the heat issues. There sure is a wealth
of information here. In my short time of becoming a IAP member, my skill level has increased quite a bit but my pen knowledge went through the roof! I had no idea there was so much to know about making pens. My next step is to cast my own blanks, I find the blanks that the members here have made are unique and fascinating. I'm looking forward to learning a new process and skill.

Thanks for the C&C

:rolleyes::rolleyes: If your thinking of going into casting or making your own molds, look in the library. Someone always has a new or different way of doing it, and they are always willing to share their knowledge with others. Site members share the good outcomes and the bad ones, to save you time and money. 10 people will have 10 different ideas on how to do the same thing. Pick what works for you, or try them all. Merry Christmas !! Jim S

Top Bottom