Firewood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RegisG

Well, a friend re-did their kitchen with a lot of barn wood. I made him a slimline from a small piece. After that, he brought me a piece of his firewood. He has been burning this all winter...... Spalted maple he thinks?

firewood.jpeg

How much more of wood like this is going up in smoke across the country/world...
Regis

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

To answer your rhetorical question , 1 with a whole pile of zeros behind it times more goes up in smoke than we can ever use for pens . It`s okay to regret it`s passing though .

Doesn`t really look like maple . Could you do an end grain shot of a well sanded inch or so diameter piece . Clear grain , not near a knot .

RegisG

To answer your rhetorical question , 1 with a whole pile of zeros behind it times more goes up in smoke than we can ever use for pens . It`s okay to regret it`s passing though .

Doesn`t really look like maple . Could you do an end grain shot of a well sanded inch or so diameter piece . Clear grain , not near a knot .

Wayne,
Maybe this photo will help. I sure would like to know what it is.
spald3.jpeg

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Several years ago I connected with a retired tree cutter in Ohio. His wife simply took his off cuts for their fireplace. That week what happened to be in front was Desert Ironwood (brought back by his parents in small logs from Arizona) :eek::eek::eek:. He sold me several large pieces that must have weighed 50 lbs each.

From what I saw, she had burned over 2,000 pen blanks to heat their day room :frown:. This is no criticism of her - it simply was what was available.

To Late... Mark

JohnU

I've scored some nice firewood over the years. A close friend of mine has a pile called "to pretty to burn" that he keeps for me. If only my wife were as happy about it as I am. I always say... cheap is good, free is better!

jennera

When you find a nice piece of firewood to turn, what is the best way to prepare it? I have seen some people think it should be stabilized and others just dry it. Does it depend on the type of wood?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Skie_M

When you find a nice piece of firewood to turn, what is the best way to prepare it? I have seen some people think it should be stabilized and others just dry it. Does it depend on the type of wood?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Depends on how long it's been sitting out in the elements, exposed to moisture, fungus, rot, ect .... in other words:

"How spalted is it?"
"Is it starting to fall apart at the seams or cracks, or is it still holding together solidly?"

Top Bottom