Fireman Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Well thought I would post this question here in case anyone has made the fireman pen kit.

If you have made this kit and used the Fire and Rescue maltese cross inlay this question is for you. I am making this kit for the first time for a couple fireman friends as a gift. I see any time the photo of the inlay kit is used by vendors it is all the same photo so it does not answer my question. I would like to know if you have sold this pen with that blank did you center the cross off to the side and what side?? Did you take in consideration right handed or left handed user?? I looked at the kit and being the pen"s clip does not cross into the blank, that the inlay would look good centered on the clip or basically the top of the pen when writing with. This way it can be seen when writing with and if it is on either side it can not be seen when writing with the pen. I am looking for your thoughts on this. I have never seen one of these pens shown here so I had no reference to go to.

Here is the inlay kit on the pen that all vendors have. Thoughts please.

INL113-FIRE-BHW_560x560.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Can't answer your questions, but that is beautifully turned, matched, finished and photographed! Thanks for sharing it with us.

magpens

John, I have not used that pen kit.

I have twice made and used that inlay blank on a Sierra Click pen kit.
In both cases, I mounted the blank design exactly opposite the clip which is where I like to see it ... just my preference.

mecompco

I've made one Fireman's pen, but not with that blank. Were I to, I think I would center the inlay with the clip, on the "top" of the pen. That's what I did with the "thin red line" blank I used on mine. It did take me three tries to get it lined up properly. Just MHO.

Regards,
Michael

BillyBoy63

firemen's pen

I to have made the firemen's pen but not with that blank
I would think that it would work better like that picture because how many people will carry this pen ?
If you give it as a gift most of the time a pen like that would be put in a very nice display box/case and cherished as a great gift to go along with all the other firemen's memorabilia that person as.
BillyBoy63

I have made several Firefighter pens (being one myself) I haven't used that specific inlay, but my general rule of thumb is to center the inlay on the clip. Looks best that way IMO.

jttheclockman

Just for clarification this is not my pen in that photo. That photo is the one most vendors use.

Would also like if anyone has done the fireman pen to post a photo of theirs if they have them. Thanks.

Maybe what I will do is make one of each and put up a poll to check the pulses of the masses. :)

mecompco

OK, here is mine--the Thin Red Line is lined up with the Ax. It is a bit of a chore to get this alignment perfect. My thinking was (and is) that the line (or the inlay blank) will be visible while the pen is in hand.

View in Gallery

jttheclockman

My Fireman Pens

Well here are my Fireman pens. I did the inlay ones 2 ways, one with the inlay centered on top and one with it centered on the side. Still not sure what way looks better. Anyone want to voice an opinion please do and thanks.

I also made a thin red blank using red and black acrylic (made this before I bought some and was surprised how well it came out so I used them) This one I put the strips to the sides because it reminds me of a uniform pant leg with the stripes on the sides. These will not get totally covered by your fingers when writing with it o I felt that is a good way to mount this blank.

Thanks for looking and any comments feel free.

Attachments

• Copy of IMGP0154.jpg
    Copy of IMGP0154.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 166
  • Copy of IMGP0152.jpg
    Copy of IMGP0152.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 128
  • Copy of IMGP0157.jpg
    Copy of IMGP0157.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 169

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Well here are my Fireman pens. I did the inlay ones 2 ways, one with the inlay centered on top and one with it centered on the side. Still not sure what way looks better. Anyone want to voice an opinion please do and thanks.

I also made a thin red blank using red and black acrylic (made this before I bought some and was surprised how well it came out so I used them) This one I put the strips to the sides because it reminds me of a uniform pant leg with the stripes on the sides. These will not get totally covered by your fingers when writing with it o I felt that is a good way to mount this blank.

Thanks for looking and any comments feel free.

Hmmmmnnn.. I'll vote for door #2 - Inlay on the side. All look fine. As mentioned previously about this kit, I suspect the finished pen will be very cherished, and used infrequently. Not practical as a carry pen, but appreciated and valued as a desk pen. Well worth the effort, and well worth the purchase as a gift.

Thanks for sharing.

gtriever

I like both. If kept in a display case/box, inlay on top. If displayed on a stand like in photo #2, inlay on the side. Either way, nice job!

mecompco

I like the centered one, and it works for both right and left-handers. The TRL blank, I think, works equally well in either orientation.

Kenny Durrant

John I haven't tried this kit but I always think the way you are as far as being able to see a specific spot or part while writing or how the pen will rest when put down. To me that is part of making a custom pen for a particular person or wanting to display the pen to the public. I'm right handed and when I write I like the clip upward so the pen will lie smoothly across my hand so I would want the emblem inline with the clip. When I put the pen down the nib would be pointing to my right and the clip will probably rest on the table so you would still be able to see at least half the emblem. Since you know the recipients I would cater these details to each person.

Top Bottom