Finishing Wood Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mordi

Since recently starting pen making, I have accumulated several wood finishing products, such as MM, EEE, Woodturners Finish, HUT, and the Beal Buffing System. Just wondering what products can be stacked or used with other products :confused: As an example, let's say I sand to 600 grit and then use the MM up to 12,000. Then what? Does it make sense to use Woodturners Finish at that point, and then go to the Beal Buffing System? Lots of different combinations possible - don't want to undo a step by using the wrong product, out of sequence :eek:

Perhaps some of these products might just offer alternative finishing approaches to other ones, but it is getting mighty confusing...

Thanks

Mordi

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

Mordi,

There are as many thoughts on finishing and finishes as there are members of this forum :biggrin:. Might I suggest looking through the library; there are some really fabulous tutorials written by IAP members.

butchf18a

Not what you want to hear

Morti,

Truth is there is no right answer to your query, sorry to say. There are, as previously stated, numerous products, techniques and methodologies when it comes to finishing. Read all you can find, try different methods and products. No single product is going to be ideal for every species of wood.

'Best' is ultimately subjective and pertinent to each individual user. For all that swear by "CA is best" there is equal number who swear at it. You need to ask yourself, "what do I want the pen to look like?" Then work your finish to that end.

Over nearly 18 years I've tried just about everything at one time or another. Favorite or preferred, don't have one. A give away slim is not going to get the same treatment and effort as a custom segmented blank on a high-end fountain pen.

WTF can produce a nice glossy finish with little effort. Basically I use 3coats sanding sealer, 600 grit dry, wipe down with naphtha or denatured alcohol, then 6 coats WTF. Let set then polish with mm (lightly), and finally quick buff and renaissance wax.

Questions? Ask me

Jim Burr

Banned
Ha!!! I walked into Woodcraft in Dublin, Ca and asked the lady clerk if she had any WTF...she said "It's lucky you are a woodworker or I'd take exception to that!" I think I had a smirk on my face when I asked:wink::rolleyes:

Top Bottom