Finishing Woes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
K

kooseman

I need some help with getting that high gloss finish on my slimlines. I go through the sanding grits (120-1500) and apply some EEE. All is well until I apply some Shellawax and I get white spots/sections. What am I doing
incorrectly???
Can Shellawax be applied/rubbed out by hand?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

76winger

I'm thinkgin the white spots are spots that just aren't dry.

With Shellawax, be sure to apply it while the parts are turning on the lathe and after spreading it across the body(s), apply firm pressure. Then heat from the friction should warm up and dry the finish pretty quickly. Then you can repeat 2 or more times to build up and deepen the finish as desired.

NOTE: after a couple coats it needs to set and cure for a little while before applying addtional coats, otherwise the applicator will start sticking to the turning material (been there done that).

K

kooseman

Dave, what's the preferred applicator . . . paper towel or cloth?
Same for buffing out???

It takes several coats Shellawax to get a good shine then you need to let it sit for a day or so to let it cure so you don't leave fingerprints and dull the finish. I would recommend learning to do a CA finish. Good shine, durable, and dries fast.

its_virgil

You didn't mention how much you are using. Little is better. One or two drops per pen barrel is enough for slimlines and several coats is also good. As mentioned, it is a friction polish and friction is the operative word. Friction for heat to evaporagte the solvent and leave the shellac behind. Friction polishes need a day or so to fully dry and harden. After application set the barrels aside for a day before assembly. Paper towels work but I prefer T-shirt material cut into small squares to prevent the cloth from wrapping arund the spinning pen barrel. Large pieces of cloth around spinnng wood on a lathe is a good formula for an injury. Good luck finding a solution to your shellawax problem.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

K

kooseman

Can you suggest a good resource for me to learn how to do a good CA finish?

its_virgil

That depends on who you ask. Each person has their own routine. Do a search for CA finish and several you tube videos will be at your fingertips. I've been told that my article on CA finishing has helped many get started. It can be found in the list of articles at http://www.RedRiverPens.com/articles . There are several articles here in the IAP library.
Do a good turn daily!
don

Alzey

There is also on guy on Youtube named Capt Eddie that has some great and entertaining videos covering may turning subjects. Here is one that I used to based my CA finished off of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KMa_hWMMoM&list=UUh48-qjFjHhHCDPuuPZg4VQ&feature=plcp

There is no wrong way or right way to do this. See how other do it, then adapt your own style based on your setup and comfort level. As one guy said on the forum here a while back, Watch and read everything you can and none of it will work for you.:biggrin:

One piece of advice: put something on your lathe bed to catch CA and water drips.

One more thing: Make sure you are wearing a face shield and have the lathe running slow. You don't want to sling CA into your face. It burns enough if you get a bunch on your fingers, I can only image if you were to get it in your eye :eek::eek::doctor:

Safety First!!

Top Bottom