Finishing protocol

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wkuhn

Just wondering how everyone else finishes thier pens, wax last?
Heres mine-
Wood-Dry sand to 1000 grit
Hit it with hut
Sometimes I hit it with friction polish
Then triple E
Then Renasance wax.
Done
Acrylics-
Wetsand through highest micro mesh
triple e
renasance wax
done
I am happy with this procedure, however i feel wax should be after friction polish.
I don't like CA finish on wood, feels too plastic, I prefer the wood to age to a nice patina by use
What say you?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I say I stopped using HUT (PPP sticks???) after the first few pens. I spilled more friction polish than I put on pens (I preferred Mylands instead of crystal coat.) I don't like pure carnuba wax. I don't like Ren Wax. I do like TSW. And finally, I do like the look of CA and sell more with CA than other finishes. Lacquer is OK but I don't like waiting 7-10 days for the lacquer to cure so I can buff it to a shine. I don't like pens to develop a patina and turn darker and darker and totally obliterate the nice grain of the wood I choose to use on my pens. I like tripoli and EEE ultrashine and white diamond. I like cream swirl and scratch removers such as McGuires #7. I've started using FLITZ and really like it. I hope you accept these comments in the spirit in which they are given. But, my opinion on finishes mean squat. What I like means nothing. Your opinion is the one that counts.What you like is the important info. Use the finish you like and perfect it. You will never be happy with my finish...only yours. Oh, and you are correct, wax should be the last on your finishing routine. It is a top coat to protect the real finish. We probably spend more time discussing finishing and finishes than any other topic. Good luck with your finishing.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by wkuhn

Heres mine-
Hit it with hut
Then triple E
Then Renasance wax.
Done
Acrylics-
triple e
renasance wax
done
I am happy with this procedure, however i feel wax should be after friction polish.
I don't like CA finish on wood, feels too plastic, I prefer the wood to age to a nice patina by use
What say you?

rherrell

Originally posted by wkuhn

Heres mine-
Hit it with hut
Then triple E
Then Renasance wax.
Done
Acrylics-
triple e
renasance wax
done
What say you?
I say you must not of had a pen come back because the finish wore off. Pens get alot of handling and a friction polish just won't cut it. Ask anyone who has been making pens for more than a few months and they'll tell you the same thing. CA, lacquer and Enduro are three finishes that have been proven to work.
As far as "patina" goes", I agree with you,to a point. Patina is fine but the problem is that it doesn't end there. It keeps deteriorating until it looks like c@#p.
Of course this whole conversation is moot if you just make pens for yourself, but if you sell them I'd think about doing something different.:)

rherrell

Well dang, all that ranting and I fogot about the question!
Wood.....Sand 400, apply Mylands sanding sealer, let dry(VERY important), MM to 12000, CA, dry sand 600, buff with tripoli, white diamond and TSW.
Synthetics.....wet sand 600 and buff same as above.

Hey Jeff, I think this question should be #1 on your new top 25 list.;)

Top Bottom