Finishing problem with alumite fill blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

I have several wood and alumite fill blanks turned and ready for finishing I have sanded and started with straight CA The wood part of the pen blank is taking the CA with no problems. It's the alumite that is becomes sticky never drys -- Even after 30 minutes the ca tends to dry only to a grit form There is no sanding grit on the blank I use air pressure to clean the blank. then use alcohol for a clean finish. i wait for 15 minutes before applying the CA

I continue to re-sand the blank down and start over again. getting the same results. what are to people finishing the combo wood and alumite with?

Am I missing something.

bill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I suspect your alcohol is breaking down the alumilite.

Bear in mind, I have turned fewer than 50 alumilite blanks, so I have limited knowledge.

novop711

I have used CA accelerator to clean the sanding dust off pen blanks before applying CA finish with success; wait a little while for the accelerator to dry before applying CA, or use a clean rag to wipe the blank dry, I do this with the lathe running. The only thing I don't know is if the CA accelerator is compatible with alumite,I've never turned alumite.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Alcohol will not affect Alumilite. As far as that goes, neither will acetone or lacquer thinner. It is pretty impervious to all solvents that I have tried. I have actually soaked thin pieces of Alumilite in all of the things mentioned above with no softening.

I can't tell you what your problem might be since I have never experienced anything similar. I have turned hundreds of Alumilite based blanks and have not had the problem you mention. That said, I too use CA accelerator to clean my blanks prior to applying CA except I do not wait. I apply the CA right away and it sets instantly with no clouding. I never spray the accelerator directly on uncured CA, though.

You did not say if you are doing a BLO/CA finish. I do not use BLO so maybe that is the difference. BLO will not hurt Alumilite either but may affect the way CA sets on Alumilite since it can not soak into the wood.

All just a WAG, though!

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I use micro mesh to 12000 grit and then apply a plastic polish to the blank. After that I buff it and it shines great. I don't usually use a CA finish on the plastics even if they have wood mixed in.

Top Bottom