Finishing over laser engraving?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Steve Busey

When you have a pen laser engraved, do you typically leave the engraved area "open air" or do you seal/finish it somehow?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DKF

I have left everything that I have laser engraved open, with no additional finish. Ken has told me to have the piece complete as far as the finish goes when he gets it.

broitblat

It depends...

In some cases I've had the barrels engraved before finishing (for example, if I want to fill the engraving with crushed stone, etc. I'll send off something that is still a little proud and then fill, sand, and finish after I get it back.

If I'm not doing additional fill, then I'll send off a finished pen and not do anything more with it after I get it back.

-Barry

M

monkeynutz

Tried a few things, including more finish over the engrave, but think the best look if you are not doing color fill is achieved by finishing prior to burning, and then just leaving it as is afterward (except for a quick air blast to clear any loose soot).

GouletPens

I agree with everyone here. I end up engraving most of my pens and I've always engraved after I've completely finished the pen (before pressing though).

S

spiritwoodturner

Don, I believe what Ken is getting at is he doesn't want a whole lot of the sanding that accompanies some finishing done after his work.

For me, it depends on what's engraved. If it's deer antler, and I finished with CA (almost my only finish) before engraving, I finish again with CA to "fill" the cavity so it doesn't get worn on the edges over time.

Steve, from a "sealing" perspective, I doubt is matters. For me, it's more from a "wearing" perspective.

Dale

Steve Busey

Thanks guys, some good answers.

What about Rub 'N Buff? Does that harden after it's applied? Could I just apply that to the engraving & clean it up?

Let me rephrase my question:
I have a completed, assembled Jr Gent pen that a buyer wants engraved. IF I opted to fill the engraving, what's a good way of doing that on an already assembled pen?

Doing a CA refinish over engraving would require disassembly; which could be done if needed. It would look good with a gold fill - I can get the RNB just down the road at Michaels.

Thanks again!

S

spiritwoodturner

Never heard of Rub "N Buff, so don't know.

And they don't require disassembly if you have them engraved unassembled. I leave deer antler unassembled now for just that reason. I like the "burned" look of engraving with deer antler, but that's just me.

Dale

S

spiritwoodturner

Steve, I sure wouldn't worry about it either way. I do it out of choice, not necessity. I just think it looks a bit more finished with the engraving under the final finish, but that's just me. Did you metion what kind of material yours was? If it's acrylic, there's not much to do after except Colorfill or any acrylic paint.

Good Luck!
Dale

Top Bottom