Finishing Of Segmented Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

paulkane1

I have made my second Segmented Pen, My problem,is getting a nice shinny finish on my Pens, I believe when you Sand and CA your segmented work ,it is inclined too darken down the pen,I use a Skew for my last few passes on my Pen,to get a smooth finish, (so eliminating ,the need for Sanding) , I do not want to use CA Glue,for the reasons I have stated, Could someone help me ,as to what products and method I can use ,that will give me a lovely finish to my pens?I have posted a image of 2 Blanks,the blue one has been Sanded and CA Glue applied, the Green blank ,I left untouched for the moment, I would like to have a finished Pen ,that looks as fresh looking ,after it has been passed with a skew, but has some type of finishing product applied to it.

Paul

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 393
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kovalcik

I guess you could try WTF or some other water based poly finish. I have used Minwax on pine walls and cabinets and it comes out as clear as anything I have seen. On a side note, I have not noticed straight CA to cause wood darkening. I usually add some BLO to the wood to get it to darken and make the grain pop. Could your darkening be more from the dust from different woods mixing while sanding? Is the darker wood common between the blanks in the picture you show?

paulkane1

I guess you could try WTF or some other water based poly finish. I have used Minwax on pine walls and cabinets and it comes out as clear as anything I have seen. On a side note, I have not noticed straight CA to cause wood darkening. I usually add some BLO to the wood to get it to darken and make the grain pop. Could your darkening be more from the dust from different woods mixing while sanding? Is the darker wood common between the blanks in the picture you show?

Thanks For Your Help. I am a novice wood turner,and not familiar with all the terms, Could you tell me what BLO is,? As I say ,I refrain from sanding,for the reason you have stated,ie, dust contamination .I was experimenting with this blank,and I thought the darker wood was a nice contrast? WFT, is it a water based varnish ?

Paul

kovalcik

BLO=Boiled Linseed Oil
WTF= Wood Turners Finish (General Finishes brand, sold at Woodcraft, water based poly thinned down for lathe application)

Cross contamination from sanding is an issue with segmenting. If you are getting a good finish with the skew, thats great, but if you feel you need to sand you can try wiping the blank down with denatured alcohol, acetone, or CA activator between sanding grits to remove the dust. Have you tried CA over the skewed finish?

walshjp17

If you want a shiny finish and don't want to use CA, try Doctor's Woodshops' Pens Plus finishing product. It does a great job.

Pens Plus

Also, check out the videos on the web site for a demo of how Mike applies his finish.

StuartCovey

I have always used CA and never had a problem. As for the darkening of the wood, I would think that any type of finish would have to darken the wood in some way, because it is soaking into the wood.
My 2 cents worth.

Bugmerc

If you want a shiny finish and don't want to use CA, try Doctor's Woodshops' Pens Plus finishing product. It does a great job.

Pens Plus

Also, check out the videos on the web site for a demo of how Mike applies his finish.

I have heard good things about this finish, and I have wanted to try it. However shipping to me (in AZ) is $8.50, 50% of the product cost! That has kept me from ordering. :confused:

Ambidex

blo is a great start to see the finished product...ca is the most overworked understated finish...it's not that difficult to learn and in my limited experience is the best looking and longest life finish I've seen so far...imho:wink:

Top Bottom