Finishing Oak Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wyone

Has anyone had any success getting a great finish on an oak pen? I know oak is a very open grain wood and it seems that when I try to finish I get a lot of dark marks on the blank. It is more like small pencil marks, but just like the point over and over. I know I used to use some oak and had to fill it with something before finishing, but not sure about on a pen. I have sanded it down to bare again, but the marks appear as soon as I get it back up to 400 grit. any ideas? The grain is GORGEOUS, and I dont want to distract from it with the other marks, which I am sure are just open grain being filled with sawdust.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MarkD

It's very possible that the black marks are are residue your getting from the bushings as you sand.

monophoto

I've had great success with oak pens finished with a lacquer-based friction polish.

I sand to about 800, apply a coat of shellac-based sanding sealer, sand lightly at 1200, and then a couple of coats of the FP.

I've also used ordinary wood filler, rubbing it into the surface of the wood before the final sanding to fill the grain.

jcm71

To answer your first question, Mitch, yes, I have gotten a great finish on oak, especially on my Jack Daniels blanks. As to your problem, several questions. What are you sanding with? How much pressure are you applying? What speed are sanding at? Are you sanding lengthwise with the grain between each grit? If you are not already sanding with abranet, recommend you start. If your lathe has a reverse capability, reverse sand as well. Use a light touch. Sanding at too high a speed can cause problems, so you may want to slow down. Before proceeding to the next grit, stop your lathe and sand by hand along the length of the blank.

A picture of your problem would help. Hopefully, other more experienced and knowledgeable turners than I will be able to shed more insight on your problem. Good luck.

John

D.Oliver

Another possibility is that the black marks are grit from the sandpaper that is collecting in the pores of the oak. Sometimes you'll see that with lower quality sandpaper and also with automotive type sandpaper.

wyone

Thanks for the suggestions.. I will see if I can get a picture of the issue. I do sand using abranet-love it. I use 120-600 in 5 steps and do stop and sand lengthwise between each turning. I sand at around 800 or 900 RPM. I do not have reverse on my lathe, but the last time I actually took the blanks off the mandrel and turned it around on the last grit. I may be applying too much pressure, but I did not think so. But hey I am doing something wrong. :) I guess I should also try some sanding sealer to fill the grain.

I really appreciate the input!

hewunch

I've made dozens of Oak pens. My best finish comes from sanding the blank with 400 grit, leave the sanding dust on the paper and drizzle thin CA on the blank as it spins. This creates a slurry that will fill the pore with Oak dust. Set the blank to the side for an hour, or more. Then sand to 800 or higher and finish with 7 coats of med CA. Let it set over night and polish out.

MikeinSC

After each grit used for sanding, I go over the blanks with a microfiber towel. I've found they do a good job of pulling dust and grit off the piece.

Top Bottom