finishing larger items w/ CA or not

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vthowe

vthowe

Okay...so I'm on to bottle stoppers from pens only...

I've been able to do a couple with CA glue that look very good. My challenge is that I seem to struggle with getting CA on evenly on larger items like this before one portion starts to dry and then it ends up so uneven I have to add lots and lots of coats and sand for a LONG time.

Should I be using something else besides CA on these? I do like the glass look on the finish for these...

Cheers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Why don't you try a Spar varnish. The kind they use on boats will give you a very wet look and is realy a tough finish. Jim S

Andrew_K99

What thickness CA are you using? Using medium or thick will give you more time and likely a more even coat if what you're using is drying too fast.

AK

I had the same "issues" with CA on my bottle stoppers. I tried a spray on polyurethane but it wouldn't cure on exotics. Solution was to do a seal coat of shellac and then use a spray gloss lacquer (Behlen's is nice). Dries real fast with a high gloss. Haven't needed to buff.
Caution, though, it isn't the most healthy thing. Use a respirator with activated charcoal filter cartiriges.

TerryDowning

I'm having good results with General Finishes Wood Turner's Finish

It's a floor finish reformulated for wood turners and dries relatively quickly.

Top Bottom